Notices

Going to try this "Sober" thing you all speak of...

Old 10-27-2013, 03:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going to try this "Sober" thing you all speak of...

Yes, I have been a pretty strong believer in moderation... I've been trying it and *EEK* succeeding! However I've been increasingly less happy with this moderating path and I saw this on the news a few nights ago and it got me thinking...

The Secret Life of the Female Wine Drinker | Video - ABC News

It hit a little too close to home... running the sink to hide pouring more wine, thinking wine is "me time", looking forward to it a little too much...

"It's a sneaky addiction, adding a glass here and there".

I can honestly say I do not enjoy drinking anymore... It has it's moments, but they're short lived. I think It's become more about the game of hiding and moderating for me.

So, I'm going to quit. Hopefully for good. I have a plan... somewhat. I will not drink tomorrow. I know most of you have very little faith in me... So I don't expect you'll believe in me this time... with good reason... I've tried before and failed. Again, and again, and again...

Oct 28th (nice even numbered, Monday) will be my day one. I'll check in tomorrow. Wish me luck!
Old 10-27-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing. I remember the sink thing, too. Ugh.

Originally Posted by PinotNOmore View Post
I know most of you have very little faith in me...
I doubt that's true. But even if it is with some people in your life, you will earn their trust as you move forward. I don't think anyone here is judging.

Originally Posted by PinotNOmore View Post
I can honestly say I do not enjoy drinking anymore...
It was probably worth all the moderation attempts if it got you here. Better than the longing.

Keep checking in!
Old 10-27-2013, 03:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad to hear it. I know you can do it
Old 10-27-2013, 03:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

That makes so much sense, Pinot. I was never able to moderate, but I wanted to so badly. I really don't know why - the fun times were gone & never coming back. Congratulations on your big decision - we are here for you.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have faith in you PinOt...I've never seen anyone fail who really committed to change and gave it all they had

If I can do it anyone can

D
Old 10-27-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks all! I hope it sticks this time. Weird thing is I don't feel that sense of grief I usually do when attempting to quit. There are no "why me", "loosing a good friend" and such feelings...(for now anyway) hopefully that's a good sign.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Do not "Try"

"Do" Instead.

You will do this, I know you can.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had to go through what I thought was successful moderation several times before I realized it was more work and anxiety than not drinking. Hang in there, in will be worth it (even though it may not seem like it often times). It will get better as time passes and the victories will be rewarding as well. Have faith in yourself. God bless.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I have faith in you. This is your decision alone for your right reasons. Totally quitting will probably feel like a relief from moderating. Another problem with moderating is that if you have done any damage or rewiring to your brain is won't be fixed if you still use. Apparently total abstinence is the only way out on that. See ya around.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have faith in you, Pinot! You sound a lot like me. The thrill was gone, moderating was a drag, and then a switch was flipped for me after I did some reading. Here I am, 2 months down, and it hasn't been nearly as bad or boring as I has anticipated.

You can do it. Keep checking in! Day one, let's go!
Old 10-27-2013, 04:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Pinot

I think the most important person to have faith in you quitting the drink is you. IF you really want to quit, then back yourself and simply quit. Dont worry about what other folks think. Though I would say that the folks here at SR will have faith in you as long as you have faith in you. Its actually good that you tried moderation and realised that it isnt working. Try abstaining for 30 days (preferably 90 but that is long) and see how that goes.

Best of luck and we will be backing you all the way !
Old 10-27-2013, 04:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have faith in you too.

I know for me, I had to come to the conclusion myself that stopping was the only way. When I did, and I accepted that drinking was no longer an option, my mind began to find new ways to deal with life.