Notices

New Here!

Old 10-26-2013, 10:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Here!

Hi everybody! My name is Matt. I've been sober since 08/09/13. I decided to get on here to get support and perspective from others about how to stay sober. I am dealing with cravings for alcohol DAILY since I quit. It's really hard. On one hand, I know I'm better off without alcohol, on the other, I feel like I'm depriving myself, even though my life hit rock bottom when I was drinking.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Matt

I just posted this link to another member - it might do you some good as well

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

stick around - support really helps too

D
Old 10-26-2013, 11:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey Matt ,
welcome to SR . Congratulations on the time you've done ,

I think it's important to start to change our minds about alcohol , thinking about the bad things alcohol causes us , as well as the positives of sobriety . I see a lot of people bigging up sobriety but not dissing alcohol in their heads , i think i needed to do both to stay strong in sobriety .

Bestwishes, m
Old 10-27-2013, 12:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Matt,

Congrats! I'm new here too and just feeling my way around. Trust me, you are not depriving yourself, there is no greater feeling than overcoming addiction. My suggestion is to really think about what you have achieved, i'm 5 months clean and sober and i know that i still have to remind myself sometimes of how amazing what im doing actually is. Never get complacent! Never forget where you came from because you need to remember what rock bottom was, it helps you stay sober. But put more focus on the road ahead, youve made it through the hardest part. You are now strong enough to face the challenges ahead.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Matt, congratulations on your sober time. There is tons of support here. I'm glad you have joined us.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I'm glad you found us and joined our supportive family.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

to SR Matt
Old 10-27-2013, 04:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Matt in my getting sober it was suggested to think of something else but drinking and drink sweet drinks and eat sweets for a few weeks. Carols ideas/tricks are excellent also. The bottom line is just don't drink. BE WELL
Old 10-27-2013, 04:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Hi Matt, first, congratulations on making one of the best (if not the best) decision of you life.

Next, I stand and applaud you for recognizing that sometimes you need support. This is a tough road to go alone. You'll find people that you can identify with here and there is so much information on things you can do to get past those cravings.

One of the keys to not feeling deprived is to fill your life with things that keep your brain busy. What are you currently doing when the cravings hit?

Again, so happy that you came here for support. That's a really good sign that you're committed to this effort!
Old 10-27-2013, 07:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
quat

I treat cravings as the voice(AV) of a part of me that is only concerned with intoxication. The rational 'bigger' part of me has resolved to not get intoxicated, that part squares off and tells the craving voice that however 'you ' may make 'me' feel, it ain't gonna happen, and it really is like a little conversation in my head. I found the more times I did this , the less frequent and less determined that voice can be. I can't really stop it from whining sometimes, but I will not act on its foolishness.
wish you well
Old 10-31-2013, 04:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody I'm struggling... It's Halloween now, and everybody in my age group is getting hammered, and I'm in my shorts at home, and instead of drinking alcohol, I think I'm going to make coffee. I drink LOTS of coffee now. even at odd hours.. But I guess that's less detrimental to my health... Oh and I eat sooo much more candy than I used to..
Old 10-31-2013, 05:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Matt- Welcome. This site really helps me stay focused. Keep coming back.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Matt You have made a wise and important choice in your life. SR is an integral part of my recovery along with AA, Alanon, and nicotine cessation.

Also vinny29
Old 10-31-2013, 05:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jmbrandon87 View Post
Thanks everybody I'm struggling... It's Halloween now, and everybody in my age group is getting hammered, and I'm in my shorts at home, and instead of drinking alcohol, I think I'm going to make coffee. I drink LOTS of coffee now. even at odd hours.. But I guess that's less detrimental to my health... Oh and I eat sooo much more candy than I used to..
Not everyone is getting hammered
soon you will find peers in recovery.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

welcome, i'm new too