Are certain people genetically susceptible to Addiction?

Old 10-26-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Are certain people genetically susceptible to Addiction?

I know its a weird question but it has me wondering.

As a kid I tried smoking cigarettes, but never had a desire to continue. I smoked pot a few times, but once again never had a desire to continue. I drink occasionally on weekends, but have no desire to drink every day. I was in a bad car accident when I was 20, had a 90 day supply of vicodin, took all 90 as directed, but never took a single vicodin pill after that. So why is that my husband got into a motorcycle accident and was prescribed vicodin, and cant get enough of pain pills? Why when his doc prescribes him suboxine, Xanax, and aderral- he cant live without it and has to over use it to an unhealthy measure? Why is it that my grandfather must drink every single day of his life- when most of us can just do it in moderation? Why has my brother in law been smoking pot since he was a little kid, and is now basically no longer fertile(caused by the pot according to docs) but still wont stop, when my sister prays for a child everyday?

If I got prescribed an "addictive" drug tomorrow, why is that I wont get addicted but my husband will? What makes them have the desire but not the rest of us who have never been an addict?
Old 10-26-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Because your dopamine levels are adequate. There's a lot of neuroscience to back up that statement, too.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chino View Post
Because your dopamine levels are adequate. There's a lot of neuroscience to back up that statement, too.
Is that something they are born with, how does it happen? most people don't want to be an addict, some of them never thought that they would have gotten addicted after just trying something a few times but they do get addicted.

If it is backed up by science that its just a dopamine problem in their brains, then why is there not a miraculous drug to fix that?
Old 10-26-2013, 01:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I believe there is a genetic component.

Dr. Drew Pinsky says

Genetics + Opportunity = Addiction
Old 10-26-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLJ88 View Post
Is that something they are born with, how does it happen?
Some people aren't born with enough dopamine and or seratonin. Some people don't have enough receptors. Most people have fluctuations, some more than severe than others. And the Dr. Drew quote is spot on: if you're having a bad brain chemistry day/week/month/year and take just the right substance that makes you feel better.... you're probably screwed.

If it is backed up by science that its just a dopamine problem in their brains, then why is there not a miraculous drug to fix that?
Because it's a cellular problem. My personal opinion only is that when a cure for Parkinsons is found, then addiction will become much more treatable.

But none of the science can change character defects, the very thing that keeps people deeply mired in denial.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think it's a combination of genetics and life experiences. For me personally I believe it was both.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the insight. It just had me thinking. Some addicts that I know very well have told me that "it can happen to anyone- even you." But I really didn't ever believe them bc I don't feel that I ever could get addicted- especially with all the opportunities and reasons I may had to do so.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chino View Post

Because it's a cellular problem.
Well I'm with Sprint....so maybe it's Verizon that has the problem?
Old 10-26-2013, 10:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by YearForMe View Post
Well I'm with Sprint....so maybe it's Verizon that has the problem?
================================================== ====
4G coverage my a**!
(can you hear me now?)
Old 10-27-2013, 07:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It is genetics, environment, definitely opportunity. It is who one is at the core…
Abuse and dysfunction play I think also.

And yes it could happen to you.
Addiction isn’t just about drugs many have filled that void in their lives with people. They like that rush better.

Living with an addict, in that madness, can you make one more prone to use. It happens all the time and there are many who really went down with the addicts in their lives be it moving to drugs, or just staying so focused on them, that their lives suffered.

There are chemical changes in the brains of those all in watching too. There is a twisted fix and there is a wd as well.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It is interesting. My sis in law is very clean living type in that she has never been a drinker, goes to church, a great person. However...she is the first person to take a pill for anxiety. She is also the first person who has encouraged both of her daughters to get a prescription for anxiety at a young age in high school. I feel she should have been teaching them to cope with the stressors of that time in life instead of look for a pill. They are both great kids, dont drink or cause any trouble, but who knows what could happen?
This is the same person who has watched her brother deal with addiction for a very long time and supports him and me too. I am just amazed that she is not more concerned about taking these type of things or giving them to her kids. Since I deal with addiction first hand with my husband, I am terrified for my kids and would never give them something for anxiety unless it was a true last resort after counseling, etc.

So I think addiction is genetic (I certainly see that in my husband's other family), environmental and opportunity of what is in YOUR OWN home as a high school aged kid. The DARE officer here gave a seminar, most kids get alcohol and prescription drugs from their own parents. WAKE UP WORLD!!!

Rant over....
Old 10-28-2013, 05:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So I think addiction is genetic (I certainly see that in my husband's other family), environmental and opportunity of what is in YOUR OWN home as a high school aged kid. The DARE officer here gave a seminar, most kids get alcohol and prescription drugs from their own parents. WAKE UP WORLD!!!
Again it goes back to not wanting to think it will happen to you or your family. Most don’t think about what is in there home, and even the homes cleaned swept will still miss something that could provide a high for a desperate kid. There is really no control, if someone wants to use they will use. You can delay it, but stopping it, if that need is there or the curiosity is there, is really not possible. It would be better to talk to your children especially if there is a history of addiction in the family. You do them a disservice if you don’t let them know.

And for the life of me I can not believe adults now don’t know this, haven’t know this from when they were kids or at least from the tv news reports and specials done on addiction in the past 10 years. I knew where I got my pills from and all the alcohol.

Families are strange, my sister very nicely said to me when she found out my son was smoking crack, well look how you were as a teen and then proceeded to offer alcohol to my teenage girls. Hmmm seriously?