Notices

Going to a funeral tomorrow

Old 10-25-2013, 02:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going to a funeral tomorrow

Hello newcomers forum,

I used to get a lot of inspiration here in this forum when I was new. I'm over 5 years sober and loving it more and more as time goes by. Perhaps I can provide some inspiration to some of you now. I sincerely hope so.

One of the things that motivated me to get sober and stay sober was the fear of hurting someone by driving drunk. I knew, as all of know, that as long as I was still drinking (or getting high) there would be times when I wouldn't be in control enough to make the right decision to NOT drive.

Tomorrow I'll be at a funeral for my friend's sister. I never met her as she lives out of town but I'll be there to support my friend. His sister's guy was driving mid day on a two lane road with a double double yellow line and decided he could pass the car ahead of him. Not a wise decision. Neither was his decision to drive drunk. The car was cut in half. They both died at the scene. Two other innocent people were sent to the hospital. The police found an empty baby seat in the back seat of one of the halves of the car.

The baby was not with them that day. My friend will now be raising a beautiful little 10 month old girl that will not learn how to walk in front of her parents or do anything else with them. Ever again.

Imagine if you had to answer this question which is one a hundreds that now fall to my friend - At what age do I tell this little girl that mommy and daddy died because daddy drank and then drove?

If you find yourself struggling with sobriety on a given day please remember that this is one of the reasons that the journey is worth it and use it to get through that one day sober. It's only one reason, but it's an important one.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

One of my closest friends lost her 19 year old daughter in a drunk driving accident in December 2012 at Texas Tech University. Seeing my dear friends grieve over the loss of their daughter has helped us come to this realization that it's time to quit. The drunk driver that hit her was going over 100 miles an hour down a residential street and she had no chance of survival. He too was a fellow student and they just had his pre-trial last week and his trial is set for January 6th.

Since her death I've attended so many events with the family like the MADD walk and several fundraisers for a scholarship in her honor and I feel like such a coward knowing I'm going home that night and will drink. While I typically do not drink and drive, I do admit that I have on occasion. When we had a celebration on what would have been her 20th birthday in June, I took a pledge to not drink and drive and I plan to honor her by not doing it!

Sorry for the loss and I'll say a prayer for the family.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Mel1, good pledge.
Happy to hear it. Anyone that stays off the road when they shouldn't be there is good for others. The car that was getting passed in a no passing zone was a 15 year old student driver. He/she must be traumatized about driving now.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to see you joinedintime. I'm so happy to see you have 5 yrs., but sorry to read that tragic story. I'm sure many will be touched by it and learn from it. I took too many chances before I quit, and I deeply regret my actions.

Prayers up for you and your friends. May you be comforted.