Notices

Sleep

Old 10-25-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sleep

This is awful. I don't know if it's all in my head or if there's something physical going on but since giving up alcohol I can't sleep. Then I start panicking about not being able to sleep, and there have been a few times that I've fallen into a full blown panic attack. I can't brig myself down from it very easily and then can't sleep. It's driving me crazy and makes me want to drink again so I can sleep. I don't want to get hooked on sleep medication or anti anxiety meds, but this is hell. I'm on day 36. For the first month I was taking unisom and Benadryl alternating, and it was helping me drift off but over time they began to be ineffective. I went to the doc, don't qualify for an anxiety disorder, and begged for a sleep aid. They prescribed trazodone at my request, but after three days I. A row, i started feeling weird. I really want to fix my sleep problem and not mask it with drugs but I don't know how. I've practiced meditation, chakra tuning, EFT, and music, and nothing seems to be helping me come down from a panic attack and just to relax and go to sleep. I finally took unisom last night again after my heart was racing for 2 hours. It helped me finally go to sleep. I need advice, because I'm seriously considering drinking again. This is pure hell
Old 10-25-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh and for a few days in a row I got out and exercised early in the day and the panic attacks still took over!!
Old 10-25-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry you're going through this--it seems like hell.

I don't have any words of advice. Just remember that alcohol will not help your sleep issues and panic attacks. I am grateful that you are not drinking, and that these problems are presenting on their own, unencumbered by alcohol, so that you can address them.

Perhaps seek the assistance of a naturopath who can offer nonpharmaceutical strategies. (OK, I guess I do have some advice somewhere here.)
Old 10-25-2013, 09:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Panic attacks are awful. I know. I have no suggestions but want to give you a
Old 10-25-2013, 02:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The reason I feel like alcohol will help with the symptoms is that I have never had a panic attack before. I've drank since I was 15 and haven't experienced panic attacks until giving up alcohol. What a viscous cycle! I'm seeing a naturopath on Monday to see if there are hormonal reasons for my anxiety. I'm assuming that long term alcohol use can cause hormone imbalances. Hopefully that's the reason.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Alcohol is fooling you. If you rely on it to sleep you will probably end up relying on it period.

Alcohol never made a problem easier, except in the very (very!) short term.

Try everything else..exercise, relaxation routines (plenty on-line), soft music, routine habits in the evening, a warm drink late at night, no caffeine.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not sure how long it's been going on, but if you're feeling that anxious it's probably best to go back to your Dr or get a second opinion?

D
Old 10-27-2013, 08:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So I ended up drinking 2 drinks the other night out of desperation. Not because I was craving alcohol but because I was desperate for my anxiety to be numbed. It helped for a little bit but just reinforced the fact that it's not a long term fix and I need to get to the bottom of it. I don't regret it, in fact I'm grateful to know it didn't really help as much as I thought it might and the only way that it would is to drink as much as I was before and that's not good, so I'm done. Going to see a naturopath tomorrow to have my hormones and adrenals tested. started taking 5htp, valerian, melatonin, l-theanine, omega 3 and b-complex, and I'm hoping that will change things. It's already a little better... Been doing EFT again, hoping it would work eventually. Still have a bit of a racing heart before bed, but have been able to deep breathe through it and fall asleep.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

yeah alcohol will never work long term - by the end alcohol just made me more anxious....and thats not even considering the other problems.

Glad you're looking at other healthier options

D
Old 10-27-2013, 09:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Alcohol was my sleeping pill. I have been sober for over 4 months and my sleep schedule is soooo screwed up! I can be literally exhausted at 11 p.m. but usually don't get to sleep until 4 a.m. I have tried everything! I finally do get to sleep, but still only sleep for a couple hours, get up, go back to sleep and then get up around 10 or 11 a.m. People have told me my insomnia would go away after awhile. But how long is awhile? I am getting frustrated and totally empathize with you!
Old 10-27-2013, 09:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

After 4 months I'd be popping along to the Drs Freebird....

D
Old 10-30-2013, 08:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Went to a naturopath.. Wow. He did biofeedback, and had me hooked up to this machine thingy... Measured a bunch of different stuff, neurotransmittors, hormones, brain function, immune function, adrenals... Apparently, my brain function is at 49% which doesn't surprise me at all.. I felt like I was going crazy half the time. I'm sure the alcohol consumption for the past 15 years has contributed to that.. My immune function is low, low testosterone, adrenals are fatigued... My neurotransmittors aren't doing so hot. He gave me a couple homeopathic remedies which he specified to my energy levels(I don't understand it, but if it works!) and that night I was asleep in 15 minutes. No drugs, no herbs, nothing. Slept like a baby. The next night it took longer to go to sleep, but I still went to sleep on my own within 45 minutes. I really don't understand energy work but all I know is that it is working. I'm pretty amazed!
Old 10-30-2013, 09:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good to hear! I've been wanting to visit a naturopath. What sort of stuff did he suggest for energy etc.? I'm in the same boat. Can never sleep, always feeling fatigued. Anxiety and panic along with it. It's pure misery. I'm glad you are getting some positive results!
Old 10-30-2013, 09:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Energy work, meaning that he measured my energies in my body. I don't understand it! It totally relaxed me and the drops are helping a ton!
Old 10-31-2013, 12:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It took me about a month to start sleeping when I quit. Whilst you're on day 36 you say you had benadryl and unisom for the first month.Nw you've stopped those it's probably like going cold turkey again. I agree with you that it's best not to have anything torely on to sleep. You will get through this and sleep will come eventually. I know it's horrible but whenyour body adjusts and you do sleep it really is amazing,alcohol and drug free sleep