Notices

scared sober

Old 10-24-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

scared sober

The first time I ever got drunk I had 12 bottles of Yuengling and 1/2 shot of vodka, I should have known then I am an alcoholic.

I am scared. I have been a moderate drinker for about 5 years, drinking say a 6-pack (of high ABV craft beer) about 3 days a week, until last year; I started drinking more, almost everyday when I got off work I would buy 2 40 oz of Steel Reserve and just play video games and drink until I passed out. I did this for about 12 months and never experienced any withdrawal symptoms when I would stop. It was easy for me to stop for days at a time, but I didn't like to.

For the past 2 months or so I have been getting drunk much more frequently, and I experienced my first withdrawal symptoms last month after a particularly intense bender. Keep in mind recently I have been drinking 8-10 beers a night, and on "hard nights" for example a few days ago I had a 40, 7 beers, and a bottle of wine.

Anyway last night I had at least 10 beers (can't remember) and woke up with familiar withdrawal symptoms of anxiety, some shaking, and a bit of nausea, so I decided to drink one of those tiny boxed wines to curb the symptoms. The box said it contained 3 5 oz servings of 13% wine, I drank it and felt much better. This was maybe 8 hours ago. But about 1.5 hours ago I became quite disoriented, a withdrawal symptom I have not had before. Like I would turn my head too fast and feel very "spacey" and like I might fall over. I am not having hallucinations but I am scared this might be the beginning of DTs, so I immediately drove to the store to get a 12-pack, in hopes I can start tapering and it is not too late.

I have a few questions, and am quite scared.

1) Is this confusion/spaceyness/disorientation the beginning of DTs?
2) Is it possible for someone with my experience to have DTs? I am 25 years old and started drinking when I was 20.
3) Will drinking once the disorientation starts prevent the DTs from getting worse?
4) Or am I just driving myself crazy?

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

edit: Since getting home from the store and starting writing this I have had 2.5 beers, I feel mostly ok but the disorientation is still there.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome

Unfortunately none of us are Drs - and even if we were none of us can diagnose over the net

it's possible for anyone to have DTs.
I do not recommend drinking more to feel better.

and yes the great likelihood is you probably are driving yourself crazy

Your very best bet, if you're concerned in any way, is to see a Dr.
It really is the responsible thing to do - put your mind at rest

D
Old 10-24-2013, 06:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Does not sound like DT's to me (my DT's had me shaking uncontrollably and hallucinating on a hospital bed), but I would advise talking to your doctor about help with the complications associated with withdrawl.

Good Luck,
Zube
Old 10-24-2013, 07:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for the reassurance. I have now had 4 beers and feel pretty much regular, I am really going to try to successfully taper this time (I have had my GF lock away the rest of the beers)
Old 10-24-2013, 08:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since March 21, 2013

I had a similar feeling once. It was an inner ear (balance) problem caused by repeated dehydration from drinking. Took about a week to completely go away. Continuing to drink will only make it worse.

While you're scared it would be a good time to watch some YouTube vidoes about alcohol.

One is called Drugged: High on Alcohol. It's about a 28 year old man (close to your age).

The other is a 10 part series called Rain in My Heart.

There are others, but these two are well worth watching.

p.s. tapering never works long term.

Good Luck squingyfishy!
Old 10-24-2013, 08:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Squingy, please consider quitting drinking completely. It sounds like you are progressing rapidly into alcoholism and that way lies death and destruction. I'm not being overly-dramatic; read some of the thread and you will see what lies ahead.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are other dangers from alcohol withdrawal too - not just shaking and nausea or DTs, seizures and audio, visual and tactile hallucinations.

Blood pressure can spike too - I had a series of mini strokes.

Seeing a Dr really is the best way to go.

D
Old 10-24-2013, 11:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Please see your doctor about this. Be safe.