Notices

Tinnitus anyone?

Old 10-24-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tinnitus anyone?

Past couple of days, I've noticed a low whistling in my ears - have tried keeping my ears under water in the bath etc, but doesn't help.
Is this something to do with late withdrawals does anyone know? I'm on day 11.

Going to pop to the doctors in the morning and it's not TOO bad, but would be nice if it went away.

Thanks for any advice/experiences.

Xx
Old 10-24-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have it in one ear. Super loud. Super annoying. I have no idea if it has anything to do with drinking.....I don't remember if I had it when I was drinking and I have been sober a long time. I am supposed to get a hearing aid, but it's super expensive and some other slightly more important financial issue always seems to be around. I have to listen to stories on my ipod when I go to sleep, otherwise it would be too loud.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Olive. I too, can't think if I had it before or not. - Certainly never noticed it (or much else) when I was actually drinking. My Dad has a hearing aid so I'm wondering if that's looming for me too.
I also listen to the TV or radio when I'm going to sleep, otherwise all the thoughts of past drunken deeds come flooding in.

Thanks x
Old 10-24-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I love the sleep timer on my tv.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Very common in benzo withdrawal. Not sure how prevalent in post acute alcohol withdraw.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Memphis I'll let you all know what the Doc says in the morning. Really appreciate your replies- thanks Xx
Old 10-24-2013, 03:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

It does seem to accompany what I consider PAWS. Doesn't last very long.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Silentrun Is a real comfort to know that I might not be stuck with it x
Old 10-24-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Come to think of it, my ears used to ring too. Can't remember when, but it did quit. Along with the foggy brain, dull belly ache, etc.

Congrats on your sober time! Keep it up, the ringing might well go away.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have it to some degree from years of motorcycling, and too much loud music in the earlier years. Not to mention shooting sports, the chain saw and the gas weed whacker (sigh). Yeah, I finally learned about earmuffs and earplugs. At this point it's always there a little bit in the background but most of the time I tune it out. I had a hearing test and found I was missing high frequencies in one ear - the doctor explained that the brain then cranks up the volume so to speak and it creates the high-pitched tone I hear.

I never heard of putting your ears under water - can't see how that would help, unless it's to get rid of earwax? Mine didn't change with sobriety one way or the other, my guess is you have another cause. What I have found is that coffee (caffeine) will definitely make it worse. Perhaps you are drinking more coffee now in sobriety? Also if your blood pressure is up it can make the ringing worse - my ears are ringing a bit right now after a hard bike ride earlier. Most of the time it fades into the background for me but I'm very protective of my hearing now so it doesn't get worse. I use earplugs for all sorts of activities and order them by the hundred pack.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks advbike. Yes, I relate to the loud music and also the caffeine.. I love my rock and reggae music and when I was drinking wold pop on the earphones and turn the volume RIGHT up. It's not noticeable when I'm walking around or generally doing something - seems more noticeable when I'm sitting typing on here or watching TV etc. Like you said, I can tune it out.
Yeah, the bath thing, was me thinking it might be ear-wax, but didn't make a jot of difference

Will definitely take on board your suggestion of earplugs - thanks

Xx

PS Mine's a high pitched kinda whistling too - sounds like you might have solved it for me X
Old 10-24-2013, 09:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I completely forgot to mention SALT - it is the worst of all triggers of tinnitis, at least for me, and other folks too. If I have a salty meal, my ears will go up a notch in volume all day. It could be because of the blood pressure increase from the salt, not sure.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yep - guilty of salt too!! Thanks
Old 10-24-2013, 09:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Skye2 I had tinnitus when I first stopped drinking for the first few weeks, mine was like the tide whooshing rather than whistling, it would come and go and could be very noisy, but as wehav2day says it does stop along with the foggy brain etc. Good luck.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags - really appreciate you telling me Xx
Old 10-24-2013, 10:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've got it, bad, but it's from playing R&R for many years without earplugs. Searched for things to alleviete it, tried lots of stuff, and found one thing that actually works. At least temporarily. A little hard to explain but I'm gonna give it a go...

Put the palms of you hands on your ears with your fingers cupping the back lower part of your skull. Put pressure on your ears and then tap your fingers on the back of your head, you'll hear like a boingy kind of sound. It was suggested to do it around 30 times, but sometimes I do it longer. Actually works for me to a certain degree.

I also found that if I just hold my palms over my ears, push hard till the ringing gets really loud and hold that for a few seconds, it helps too.

Lots of other "cures" you can find on the internet, but none of the others I tried worked.

I've a feeling yours is just temporary, but hopefully the above can give you some relief.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks Joe - just tried that (brill description by the way) and it DOES ease it a little
I used to have lessons on Djembe drums and the 'boing' you mentioned, just reminded me of those times

Thanks for the suggestion!! Xx
Old 10-25-2013, 01:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have had it for over ten years. I never listened to loud music or used head phones. I hate anything in or on my ears. I had a lot of ear infections as a child and I am half deaf in one ear that has been that way since I was three. Nothing was ever done for the ear infections other than some antibiotics. Deafness runs in the family.

When it first started I went to an ENT doctor. He said I did have blockage in my ears and I had a myringotomy (tubes in the ears). While that improved my hearing slightly it did nothing for the tinnitus.

I don't tune it out on purpose, I guess I just naturally ignore it at times but when it is quiet it seems as it is screaming at me. I can only describe is as a high pitched sonic buzz. I associate the noise with my ears because I am "hearing" it but it is more like in my head. My ENT told me never to use OTC products as that can make it worse. There is no cure.

I have had two people ask me now if quitting drinking has taken that away like so many other things I no longer have but sadly, no. I have lived with it now over a decade and while it is annoying the loss of hearing is more annoying. I can't hear whispers and need the CC on my TV to help me when I can't hear what is said or if the music track is so loud that it drowns out the voices and I have to turn the volume down because the loud music bothers me.

I have read that several things annoy it, caffeine, sugar, alcohol, salt etc but I have never noticed mine being worse or better because of these things. It just is.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Good morning Skye! Love your atavar BTW, so beautiful and distracting to people who may be suffering...to see such beauty and the color is soothing. Anyway, the Dr. is your best bet to check out the tinnitis. Is it in both ears? Maybe just alittle wax or moisture in there. A much easier fix than addiction. Good luck at your appointment in the morning, don't forget to get your sticker(ha ha I hope that made you smile) keep us posted as you begin your day #12 congrats on that, keep up the hard work! Take care, TF
Old 10-25-2013, 02:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Gracie - thanks for sharing your experience - I also had a lot of ear infections as a child - you've got me wondering now. I can't get an appointment until Monday as I fell asleep again this morning and missed the deadline for today's appointments, but I don't really class it as an emergency, so all's good

Twofish - thanks for the compliment over the avatar and if it helps cheer people, then I'm happy I love red - makes me feel all warm and cozy

Thanks again everyone Xx