Notices

Accepting 1 year medallion

Old 10-24-2013, 08:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Accepting 1 year medallion

Hello all,
It's been quite sometime since I have come to the sober recovery site. Back in 2008 I religiously used this site to stay sober. Unfortunately because it was the ONLY thing I was using for my recovery I was unable to remain sober for a long period of time.
Last year I reached my bottom and a friend suggested I try AA again. He was in the program and suggested a specific meeting he thought I would like. So that's what I did... I went and found that it is what works for me! I have not drank since May 2012, but I was on the marijuana maintenance program for a few months. So my true to self sobriety date is Oct 12, 2012.

The reason I am reaching out is because at my home group Monday is the celebration meeting and I am terrified to speak in front of the large group to accept my coin. In a year I have only shared a couple times and only at smaller meetings, and haven't said much. What I've been told to do is pray before I go up to accept and believe that He will guide me through it. So just say how I was before AA, what I'm doing for my recovery and what I'm like now.
I'm looking for a little inspiration I guess. Even though I'm sure I'll forget everything it is that I want to say cause I blank when speaking in public.
Nerves tend to get the best of me.

Thanks for your help!
Hugs,
Shannon
Old 10-24-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Speaking at meetings is something that always did, and probably always will make me nervous. It's gotten a little bit better over time, but I can't help but to notice some people don't seem to get nervous at all. Good for them. That's not me though.

Few things I do.

Pray that I be able to get out of my own way and lot my HP speak through me. This doesn't mean it's going to go perfectly (in my eyes), yet I trust that whatever is then said needed to be said for whatever reasons I may never understand.

Pray that whatever I share be of use to at least one person in the room. And affirm that it's not about me, but about helping someone else. God help me to "bless, not impress".

When I'm qualifying (leading the meeting), I always state that I'm nervous and that saying so seems to take the edge off of it. And it does. I think it works as kind of a warmup for me.

Guess I should note also that the very first time I ever qualified, I froze mid sentence about 5 minutes into it, apologized, and said I'm done. Nobody held it against me or judged me for it. I've seen that happen to others too.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and congratulations. Try to remember very few of us are trained public speakers. Mt first sponsor had a habit before even answering a phone said a silent prayer "God please guide my words and thoughts." I find most of the better speakers speak honestly from the heart and KISS. Saying how terrified you are can break a lot of internal ice and If you only say something for 15 seconds that's fine as it helps you. Over the years I've seen so many terrified first time speakers go on for + 1/2 hour and not remember a word the said.

Something aside. I can't understand how many highly visible sports, entertainment ets people have stage fright after years in the public spotlight. Perhaps it's a reason so many have drug problems. BE WELL
Old 10-24-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You can't mess up the truth, just speak your truth from the heart!
Old 10-24-2013, 08:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations and good luck! Wish I had advice on speaking but your post has inspired me to really get back to my meetings. Thank you and great job on making a year!!
Old 10-24-2013, 09:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Swashbuckler

Originally Posted by shanman422 View Post
I'm looking for a little inspiration I guess.
You ARE the inspiration

Old 10-24-2013, 09:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on one year sober! I always pray beforehand and ask my HP to speak through me. I usually have a vague idea of what I want to say for the first few sentences. Once you start, it gets easier. If your mind goes blank, just say that. Everyone understands. Afterwards, you feel amazing and everyone is so kind. Best of luck with it.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on reaching one year sober!
Old 10-24-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your year! Just share your experience, strength, and hope, and all will be well.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

no experience here, but congratulations Shannon

D
Old 10-24-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi! I celebrated my one year back in May. I also started trying to get sober in 2008!
I felt the same way about taking my chip. I have shared at some smaller meetings and never at any of the larger ones. I chose just one meeting to take my chip and took it at a medium size book study meeting. I just started by announcing my name and sobriety date and then stating that I had first visited that same meeting back in 2008 "Way before I was ready to get sober." It flowed from there and I kept it brief (as I do with all my shares)...I was SOO glad I took it and didn't end up just saying to myself, "Oh, it's no big deal."

Enjoy the moment and congratulations! Please let us know how it goes...
Old 10-24-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great work!~ Congrats on your time.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the feed back! =)

Hugs,
Shannon
Old 10-25-2013, 06:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

one thing I would suggest NOT doing:
picture everyone naked.

ya really don't have to say anything if ya don't want, but whenever I have been asked to do an open talk, I pray to God to speak through me, help me share what I used to be like, what happened, and what im like now trying to leave out the dunkalogue. they all know how that part goes.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congratulations! This is wonderful to read. Know that your few moments speaking in front of others is a drop in the bucket compared to the journey you've been on. You can do this, for sure.

I've worked in public speaking, and my suggestions are:

1. Write your speech ahead of time, no matter how short or long. This way, you'll remember to include the important points you want to make (rather than later, regretting that you forgot something).

2. Practice your speech ahead of time. Yep. Just stand in front of a mirror and practice, or borrow a friend...

3. If you feel comfortable doing so, jot down a notes to bring with you. As you're talking to the audience, it's comforting to glance down at your notes and get your bearings.

All of this may seem hokey and over-the-top, but if you really are this nervous about speaking in front of others, these steps above can bring about some confidence.

You'll do great! 1 year is awesome!