Notices

14 Days - Had Ultrasound yesterday

Old 10-23-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

14 Days - Had Ultrasound yesterday

Day 14... tomorrow will be the longest I've stayed sober in 5+ years. The time before that, I just took a ciesta. I wasn't trying to quit.

This time, I needed to stop drinking for health reasons. After feeling sick and not being able to consistently hold down food for 2 weeks, I went to the doc. She suspected my liver was inflamed and I had Alcoholic Hepatitis. I got a prescription to help with withdrawal, and stopped the next day.

My ALT was almost 8 times over the safe level, and my AST was over 12 times.

I'm happy to say that the result of the ultrasound yesterday is generally positive. My liver is mildly enlarged, with fatty changes throughout. I think I thwarted any irreparable damage. The doc says I don't need to come back anytime soon to get another blood test, but I'll probably schedule one in January.

Eye opening experience for sure. Luckily I have insurance, but I'll still be out ~$650 after all is said and done.

I'm 32 and needed something like this to help me stop drinking. I was up to almost a liter of vodka per day (a handle every 2 days). I had been a bourbon drinker up until July, but then my body said no more of that stuff, so I switched to vodka. That should have been a better clue that something wasn't right.

Pay attention to your body. It knows when enough is enough and for me, it gave me warning signs before it was too late.

I'm eating healthier now, and hoping to be down ~175lb by Thanksgiving (from 190).

Here's to a healthy change in lifestyle. A green juice cheers to SR =)
Old 10-23-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good move, and congratulations on 14 days. When I was 32 I went in for some allergy tests and the doctor asked me how much I drank. I was surprised and told her "no more than 6 beers a day", thinking that was pretty normal. She told me my liver enzymes were high, so I cut back and about a year later I quit. Unfortunately after my divorce I started back up, but never again to those levels. I was too scared. I wish I had stayed sober though, instead I tried to moderate it for 20 more years and it was a constant battle. Sooner or later it catches up with us so better to do it now while you're young and have your whole life ahead of you.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you! I can really really relate to your post. So glad you stopped when you did and sounds like you didn't do a whole lot of permanent damage. Day 13 here and also decided to really listen to my body because I knew my ulcers/stomach problems were a direct result of drinking...went to the dr. and he said "So stop drinking." Duh haha. Anyway, I'm also 32 and trying to get back down to 170 (at 185) by the holidays. Cheers and running along with you friend.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on 2 weeks 4 change

D
Old 10-24-2013, 12:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow! Very scary, but maybe as you say it's for the best. I'm glad you saw the train comin' before it ran you over!
Old 10-24-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Was down 6 lbs this morning, and that was after a big lunch yesterday and big dinner last night (RIBS!). Not sure 175 will happen with my work/life schedule right now (no time to exercise other than bike commuting 4 miles a day), but I'm trying.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I started to feel an aching in my liver a few months before I quit. It was exactly what I needed to motivate myself into quitting. Still took a couple of months and many panic attacks before I quit. I hope you never go back. The addiction will certainly grow and it will continue to get harder to get out of. Look up a book by Andreas Moritz on doing a Liver Cleanse. I just read the book and it is eye opening.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have my ultrasound tomorrow morning. My situation is very similar to yours. Enzyme levels have been elevated, have had flags which warned of liver issues but I chose to ignore.

Need to get the shock, I guess to make the needed lifestyle changes. Congratulations on your decision to get healthy.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hope your ultrasound went well Bettersober... I know I was nervous beforehand.

The shock really helps. Who knows if it will work permanently... But trying to think of alcohol more as poison than a drug has helped me.

Now if I could just find a way to sleep better...
Old 10-25-2013, 01:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

Glad things is not the worst for you hun.

I have medium fatty liver disease, that was 3 yrs or 4 unsure really when i had the scan, but havent had one since. Last time i spoke to doc he said until i stop drinking i wont get one, that was then.

I know myself should get a scan even though my levels is good, but have been raised in the past due to not just alcohol but ODs.

So thanks for ur post and how it went xx good luck with not drinking.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi 4Change, welcome. Excellent idea to go to the doctor. Great job. Knowledge is power.