Notices

25 days

Old 10-23-2013, 08:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

25 days

I am back to running and walking every night, maybe that will lift my mood. Struggling to smile and act happy, but right now I feel hopeless. Proud to be 25 days sober.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you, Acheleus!
When I first stopped drinking I was sad for a long, long time. It took months to come out of my blue fog.
I think with some sober time you might find that life will eventually get better. It did for me.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad to see you have a more positive attitude today Ach.

Not sure if it will help, but you really have a multitude of things you could be thankful/hopeful for. For one you are about to complete grad school. Many dont' even have the luxury of any schooling beyond High School, so you are very fortunate in that respect. You are also obviously intelligent as you've made it this far through school, which will prep you for a stable, good paying career. Many only dream of that. You also have sobriety, and have overcome addiction- that in itself says a ton. Additionally, you have the support of everyone here and your counselor.

So maybe when you start having these recurring self pity/self loathing sessions you could think about all the wonderful things you DO have.

I'd also make sure you are staying honest with your counseslor about this and keeping up on your meds just to be sure.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

25 days is awesome!

I try to get out and walk my dog every day after work. Sometimes rain or shine.
Even went shopping for some new walking shoes last week.
Seems to make a huge difference in how I feel and clears the mind.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you scott, I just do not want to end up working in a coffee shop with my two English degrees. I am so scared about the future, but I will focus on what I am grateful for and how I can get better with meds and sobriety.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow! 25 days! I am so happy to read that Acheleus. It does get easier. Keep going friend.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Way to go man! I remember when you barely had 2 weeks, now you are closing in on a month! believe me, it will get easier with time. Great that you're running, there' nothing better. Have you ever read Born to Run? It's a great book. Keep up the great work!
Old 10-24-2013, 12:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Acheleus View Post
Thank you scott, I just do not want to end up working in a coffee shop with my two English degrees. I am so scared about the future, but I will focus on what I am grateful for and how I can get better with meds and sobriety.
I know how you feel, Acheleus. I'm getting close to getting my Bachelor's in Business Management, and I too am nervous about the future. Most of my life I've worked as a chef and I love the kitchen. But I'm getting older, don't know if I can do it when I'm 55 instead of 44.

But I also know that crawling back into a wine bottle isnt' going to improve my prospects. As others have said, that first few months is tough! Your body and brain are doing some major rebalancing, so try to just let it come, so to speak.