Notices

10 days today, but yesterday was SO HARD!

Old 10-23-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

10 days today, but yesterday was SO HARD!

I can not believe how badly I wanted to drink yesterday. Seriously, I almost picked up my car keys and drove to the liquor store. I had a rough day and didn't know how to calm myself down, but, I did, with the help of my 9 year old. We turned up the music and had a dance party. IT WORKED and we had a blast! Instead of being passed out on the couch at 7pm, we were dancing. I am so grateful this morning that I didn't drink.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations. That's the way it works! We just don't drink even if our azz falls off!. In those bad day days I suggest doing something like you did AND to think of non drinking thoughts/ideas as the desire usually passes in a reasonable time. BE WELL
Old 10-23-2013, 05:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi there I'm on day 10 too and I found that exercise (in my case a long walk) helped to settle me down.
Feeling tons better today - hope you are too?

We can do this !!
Old 10-23-2013, 05:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's good to see you finding healthy ways to get through tough days.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

What you did to ward off your drinking urge is wonderful. And dancing is great exercise, plus kids always like it when parents go a little bonkers.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

anchorbird anyone with more then 10 days knows what you are going though. But that is the ticket...you go through it. I have 388 days and when i read when you are going though it helps me not to drink. We ALL had to go though the first 10 days...not always easy but we did it and so can you. You do NOT want to go back to day one again.... I do not want to go though what you are now. Stay sober it rocks... you helped me tonight...thanks!
Old 10-23-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Fantastic success story! Thank you you for sharing.

For me, staying sober is a string of learning how to make different choices when things come up, day by day. Keep it up!
Old 10-23-2013, 07:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You wrote w/ amazing honesty. Thank you for sharing. Great job on staying strong. I'm sure your nine yr old is also very happy to you fully there. It's reading posts like yours that really helps me. Keep up the good work
Old 10-23-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You did so well and you should be proud of yourself. Hope you can commit the day to memory so that if it comes again you have a better understanding of how to get through it. Well done once again.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

It's always such a great feeling when you wake up sober and so relieved that you didn't cave in.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Same story here.. 10 days here and last night was brutal. Had to turn pandora on for an hour and had a pity party for about an hour. Had to read some nihilistic philosophy and called it a day at 930 pm. Didn't drink though first day I woke up not groggy wondering if I drank the night before.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

glad both you guys got through that - hoping today was easier

D
Old 10-23-2013, 07:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Today was easier for me... Just feel like I'm slogging through the days...and time keeps on passing... The couple hours I get before bedtime with our baby is a nice boost at least. Keep fighting the good fight I guess. Im trying to figure out this whole "withholding" some special from myself thing. Im not good at that.

I say "special" because Im not craving alcohol...Im craving expensive scotch. My problem (ok one of my problems) is the bottles never lasted very long.