Notices

What recovery method do you use?

Old 10-23-2013, 02:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What recovery method do you use?

I am investigating all diferent types of recovery methods and just wondered what people have found works best for them. For example. . . I read “Kick the drink easily” and the author seems to believe that there is no such thing as alcoholism. I found the book insightful and can definitely take something from it, but I also think that AA might have something to offer me too. . . ie, meeting people in a similar situation to myself. There is also a really good UK page dedicated to those that want to give up drinking called “Soberistas” ( that mainly aim at women in recovery) which I have also found quite useful. Is it ok to use a variety of methods or is it best to stick to just one? Obviously SR is my main form of help as you all have been truly wonderful in offering advice and getting me back on my feet. I really want to stop being a binge drinker and start enjoying life sober!!!
Old 10-23-2013, 02:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

try one of them and see how it works for you. if it doesn't work, try another one....
Old 10-23-2013, 03:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Susan, I found the motivation from reading about alcoholism on the internet, and SR. I didn't use AA but I would now if I felt myself slipping.
Just my own opinion; I don't think anything would have worked until I was ready within myself. I wanted to stop long before I found the motivation and strength.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

The book Sober for Good reviews the many different paths to sobriety from the perspective of people who have stayed sober 5 years and more.

I have cobbled together my own approach that is more secular and uses the support on this site, insights and direction from writing in my journal, and exercise and meditation. I am considering AA as I think face-to-face support would be beneficial for me. My main motivation was recognizing the link between my drinking and the increasing problems in my life, along with 3 decades of not being able to control my drinking.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I use(d) a combination of SR and counseling. It's been working for me for almost four years now.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

29 years sober with AA.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't know that the specific method is important. You need:

1) motivation to quit entirely and permanently.
2) social support (whether in person or online) from others in recovery who know what you are going through.
3) a plan for understanding and addressing the underlying issues in your life (counseling, 12 steps, church are examples). IMO, the most important part of this is taking action to control what you can (i.e., leaving abusive relationships, living responsibly, etc.).
Old 10-23-2013, 04:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

AA/NA, Church, Prayer, Service work. I think service work is so important Any kind of service takes us out of ourselves whether it be volunteering for Salvation Army or at an AA meeting, Church etc.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Motivation is the key, in my opinion, not the method.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with Anna

the one thing people with long term recovery have, regardless of method, is motivation and determination - you really do get back what you put in to your recovery

D
Old 10-23-2013, 04:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I go to an AA meeting every day. I thought I could get sober with counseling and a strong will but it backfired. I LOVE going to meetings and have already made some friends.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have found the SMART Recovery handbook helpful. It has some good tools on creating and maintaining motivation.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Today I use the 12 steps of AA and Alanon. I also practice RET and urge surfing. SR is an integral part of my recovery.

I live a life of recovery from alcoholism, narcotic addiction, and co-dependency, nicotine dependency, chronic depression, bi-polar.

Healthy exercise and good nutrition are very important to recovery.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I think what works, is YOU. Make that plan for you, Susan, about continuing to use alcohol, and what that will mean for you. You deserve a life that is free of addiction, and you can have it. Decide to quit drinking and be done with it, and then do things to reinforce your decision, to make it as easy as possible. Don't do things that will intentionally make it hard for you. Learn about AA and 12 steps, to see if that will work for you. Look into ways you can change your thinking, like meditation and SMART. Learn to recognize your thoughts as they happen and decide if they are alcoholic thoughts, and separate your will from them, if they are, like AVRT.

You can do it, Susan80. It will be the best decision of your life, because it will give you your life. Onward!
Old 10-23-2013, 05:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

well susan I suppose for me erfra7 it work like this counselling, treatment center, AA, SR, and 16 step group plus my belive in God with out him all of this will not be possible.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Susan. I started following AAs Principals before the mouse got to the market and still get to 3-5 meetings a week. Many/most suggestions seen in on line hope/help forums are the basis of the program for many years. Some people don't like the program because they think it's religious. Wrong because you choose your own "higher Power" which can be referred to as the god/spirit of your understanding. Many have a huge fear when they hear people share their experience, strength and hope that they could never do that. Fine you don't have to until you want to, Just say "I pass."
The big thing for me is the feelings being with people who we understand and will help locally in a heartbeat. By being sober I gratefully have been to do a fair amount of traveling and was able to get to meetings just about everywhere and the feelings were the same. BE WELL
Old 10-23-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

A little AVRT, a little self motivation and a little of reading and posting on this board. Has worked for 16 months and I have no intentions of ever going back.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

AA working for me one day at a time now that i have had enough!
Would dance naked around a fire hydrant at the stroke of midnight if I was told it would help!!!
I rule nothing out, and everything in.
All except MY WAY....Of course.......
But i want this so badly that all else comes after.
Or i would be drinking now....
Gx