Wondering...correlation between alcohol and nightmares?

Old 10-22-2013, 02:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wondering...correlation between alcohol and nightmares?

Google hasn't been particularly helpful - so I will ask you wonderful people

My AH has nightmares almost every single night - vivid ones that cause him to wake up drenched several times a night on average. Apparently some have been so bad that they have ruined his day...and of course he has had many about me being cruel to him. Go figure!!

Anyway - have any of you noticed anything in your As like this? I have a suspicion my AH is slightly BPD but...BPD mirrors alcoholism, apparently, so I am done speculating, since that is an exercise in futility. I guess I just want to satisfy my curiosity - I had never heard of anyone having nightmares like this in my life!

in advance
Old 10-22-2013, 02:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had nightmares every single night the last year of my drinking, and my first year sober. Some were worse than others, but they were forever present and I thought they'd never go away. Thankfully they did.

A little off topic, but I read somewhere that only artistic (or creative) people get nightmares. And remember them, at least. Not sure how accurate that is, but of the people I've asked it seems to be true. People who function more from the other side of the brain, the mathematical side(?) don't seem to have them.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the input Joe

I think I read something similar. I remember dreams/nightmares only when I found something memorable or significant in them, and I am definitely a more creative person...forever the exception haha!
Old 10-22-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Funny, I thought it was just us partners of A's that had incessant nightmares
Old 10-22-2013, 02:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

LOL - we LIVE those though!!
Old 10-22-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

IDK about it from the A side (I don't recall RAH ever talking about it being an issue for him) but I do know that I definitely have experienced more dream activity on nights that I've had a couple of drinks. Those dreams are very active, super vivid & generally my sleep cycle is disrupted a few times (due to the alcohol) so I have many dreams in one night.

Sometimes on nights that I feel like maybe just having one or 2 drinks, I'll skip it if it's too late in the day/evening because I don't want to sacrifice my sleep that night.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have noticed that too, especially with red wine. More vivid dreams but the quality of sleep really blows...

It's part of what got me wondering about all this
Old 10-22-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi my abf has nightmares also - we usually only spend 2 nights a week together on average but it has been longer on a few occasions and I would say most nights he has a nightmare or the very least some really bizarre graphic 'dream'!! I'm imagining this is an almost nightly occurrence being as it happens most nights were together (or maybe I bring on the nightmares!!! )
Hope this helps xx