O/T - Can I brag a bit about DD here?

Old 10-22-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

O/T - Can I brag a bit about DD here?

I don't think anyone else in my life will understand exactly how wonderful my recent conversation with DD's teacher was.

Our school does 1st qtr conferences as a "Student Led" event, meaning that DD9 (4th grade) is the one that walks us through her curriculum, daily routines, shows us their classroom processes, etc. Very little interaction with the teacher unless you schedule a separate conference to speak one-on-one. It's a great event & DD has loved doing it more each year - the kids build a portfolio of work to share & she takes a lot of pride in being able to explain to us how things work in HER world, lol. This year I noticed a BIG difference in her all around - she has come a long way in accepting her flaws & acknowledging that anything less than an "A" does not immediately equal failure. (I could see the codie writing on the wall last year - she is SO hard on herself)

I was shocked when her teacher called me the next afternoon just to touch base, since I hadn't requested a conference.

She just wanted to take a moment to tell me that she has been elated to have DD in her class this year (she is new to the school, and has been teaching 6th grade until this year) She said that one of DD's greatest qualities is being able to respectfully point out mistakes the teacher herself makes during class without being snarky or attention getting. She said it is SO rare to see a kid this young confident enough to stand up & question an elder when they notice something wrong & even more rare to be able to point it out without being immature. That the entire class benefits from this & it makes her a natural classroom leader.

But the kicker - she has never seen a student (especially this young) be so clear about her boundaries & unafraid to express them. I wanted to jump up & dance, she can't possibly know how awesome her choice of words was!
Old 10-22-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's awesome!
Old 10-22-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

FireSprite---I k now how great these words are to a mother's ears!! She sounds like a great child.

Could I ask---other than she is just an awsome kid to start with--what do you attribute these traits to?

dandylion
Old 10-22-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Talking, talking, talking & more talking. Honesty & transparency as a Golden Rule between us - she knows there is nothing that she can't ask me that I won't answer as age-appropriately as possible. That goes for anything - alcoholism, peer pressure issues, ANYthing. Sometimes I tell her I need time to think it through so that I give her the best possible answer & then I make sure that I don't forget.

One of my sister's favorite DD stories is when she tried to rib her with a bunch of made-up nonsense & DD gave her 3 chances to come clean & then finally told her, "Aunt S - is this REALLY the truth??... because, you know, I'm GOING to ask my mom & she WILL NOT lie to me."

And I think the biggest thing is that I OWN IT when I am wrong. I apologize to her sincerely when it is necessary, down at her eye level, whether it's a big mistake or a small one. It is not the easiest thing for me to swallow my pride when I make mistakes, but I show her huge amounts of respect when I do. I also show her that she is capable of the same & that at the end of the day she is the one that has to live with her actions. My mom was the opposite - her mistakes got shuffled under the rug & we got a "Oh, so what?!??" attitude which is confusing for a kid.

And as far as her self-drive goes - she started taking kid's classes at my reiki center & LOVES it. They work on meditation practice, beginning reiki, tuning into your gut instincts & learning to hear & trust those instincts. It has given her tremendous confidence in knowing herself & trusting herself.... from there everything is possible.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You rock at being a mom. So happy to read this! Thank you for sharing, I know you must be super-proud!
Old 10-22-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

How awesome!!!!

So glad she has these skills so early in life ~ what a wonderful blessing for her ~ you have taught her many great things & allow her to develop in a healthy way!!!

Our granddaughter is in 4th grade also ~ we are working with her teachers & counselor to help her continue her path in developing healthy life skills too ~

I love it when I hear her say things like "i'm not use to that kind of enviroment, we don't live like that at our house"

I believe these young ladies have a very bright healthy future!!!

A true gift!

pink hugs
Old 10-22-2013, 07:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Beautiful and joyful post! Thank you for sharing.