Notices

Flaming Introvert?

Old 10-21-2013, 08:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Flaming Introvert?

I know I need a better plan. Just trying to stop isn't working. I have an appointment with a shrink. I know that people suggest face to face meetings but how do you handle it when you don't really open up to people. I've been in long term relationships with men and haven't really even been open with them. I can't fathom sharing with a group of strangers. I know I'm not the only one that is this way. How do some of you handle it?
Old 10-21-2013, 08:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

You start off by just listening to that group of strangers, assuming that is that you think you have something you think you might learn from them.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm not crazy for AA meetings, but I do really like one-on-one therapy. It took me a long time to start being comfortable with my therapist, even though he's very good and our personality clicks. So, I think that even in an almost ideal setting, it can still be difficult to share difficult feelings.

I just stuck with it. Pushing through the anxiety can seem like an impossible feat, but it gets easier.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by UpForIt View Post
I know I need a better plan. Just trying to stop isn't working. I have an appointment with a shrink. I know that people suggest face to face meetings but how do you handle it when you don't really open up to people. I've been in long term relationships with men and haven't really even been open with them. I can't fathom sharing with a group of strangers. I know I'm not the only one that is this way. How do some of you handle it?
You can start by not framing your introversion as a liability.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

AA groups are full of troubled people. Let's face it many of us started to use alcohol as a means of dealing with a problem of one sort or another, including shyness, introversion or even social phobia. I have seen people attend AA meetings who have suddenly been able to come out of that shell in the special circumstances of an AA meeting. I say 'special' because the whole arrangement is set up for people to feel OK about opening up with no negative consequences and potentially many good ones.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

introversion is a whole new perspective on self centeredness.... (in my case it was)
Old 10-22-2013, 02:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

UpForIt, You might be interested to know that Carl Jung, the man who coined the term introvert, was himself one.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Being an introvert is not a problem or self centered. It does however mean that group situations take extra effort and when you are already coping with stress a group doesnt cut it. Upforit- it may take a bit too find a therapist you like. My daughter (not for alcohol) went through 4 or 5 before she found a perfect fit. Also there are programs other than AA. I like Rational Recovery. Finally, being an introvert does not necessarily mean you can not open up to people close to you- maybe that is something else.
You can do it
Old 10-22-2013, 04:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm a massive introvert. In fact my old boss told me, "you'll never make it in this business because you're an introvert.". How's that for great leadership skills!

There are actually a couple great books on introversion. One is called 'the introvert advantage.' The main point is that you have to recognize introversion is not a death sentence. You will have to put extra work in in group settings. I still shutdown often in large group settings. But your strengths may include better listening skills than the average person. The main thing is you are not alone. Millions of people suffer from social anxiety and introversion, including me.