Rehab and extended care

Old 10-21-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rehab and extended care

Hello all: I am interested in any thoughts, experience, or advice when it comes to rehab continuation into extended care. i've posted my situation before, but very briefly, my AW is finishing her third stay in an in-patient rehab facility in the span of 4 months. This also included 5 separate detox events. The first 2 trys out of rehab, she really didn't maintain an IOP schedule or make much attempt to attend AA regularly- hence, she quickly relapsed (usually within a week or so). So, now she is finishing another 28 day stay, and the counselors are suggesting she continue in an extended care program, at last 2 week if not another 28. However, this is getting EXTREMELY expensive, and dipping into funds I had earmarked for college savings. I know the clinical assessment must be considered here, and also know that there is no crystal ball that will predict success either way. But, just wondering whether anyone has experienced or thinks there's benefit to another 2 weeks at the minimum. I want to support her recovery, but also dont want to blindly throw significant dollars into a facility with a coin flip's (or less) chance of making any difference. Thanks for your advice and counsel SR friends.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Woodman, just based on what you have written, I, personally, would be very reluctant to spend children's educational monies. Rehab is no gurantee and there are ways to stay sober outside of rehab. There is AA which is basically free and all of the old-timers--the alcoholics that I have met who have achieved sobriety over the long haul--have all worked a strong AA program (with or without a stint in rehab).

This is my personal take on it.....

dandylion
Old 10-21-2013, 03:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

As usual, I completely agree with dandylion. It sounds like your wife just isn't committed to recovery yet. I spent all of my savings sending my AH to multiple detoxes and rehabs over the course of 4 months and he continued to drink after returning from an inpatient rehab (supposedly one of the best in the country). It has left me in a difficult situation as he is still drinking and I'm now solely responsible for our 3 children. If your wife is ready to be sober, she will find ways to stay sober (like AA, counseling, IOP), just like she found ways to drink.
My heart goes out to you, it is a maddening, heartbreaking disease.