Notices

I wonder if the liquor store workers think I'm dead.

Old 10-20-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I wonder if the liquor store workers think I'm dead.

The liquor store is 1/4 mile from my house (yes, you read that right, and yes, it makes staying sober more difficult). I had gone to the store everyday for almost 3 years. Why every day? Well, I had my drinking under control (wink) I would only buy 5 nips a day instead of an entire bottle, only to usually go back out to the grocery store across the street and buy wine. Anyways, I haven't been to the liquor store since last Saturday and I am so happy for that!
Old 10-20-2013, 02:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations! I'm new to sobriety myself and wonder if the clerks at the gas stations near my house wonder the same about me. I did rotate gas stations so the same clerk wouldn't see me buying an 18 pack every night. But still, I figure they've got to be wondering something! Keep it up!!!
Old 10-20-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

'Some of us'..ahem.. rotated the stores we went to so that the anonymous people serving us wouldn't know we had a 'problem.

Old 10-20-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Realising my life

I love the title of this, anchorbird! Really pleased to see you doing so well
Old 10-20-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had wondered the same thing....

also with the regulars at the local tavern....

And the answer is no....not that I asked "Did you miss me?"

it's truly about the money.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There are two guys at my local liquor store I've been joking with for over 30 years--back when I was buying booze for my alcoholic mother, and later on as my drinking got bad.

Now I call in every six months or so just to say Hi and ask if they are able to make a profit without my custom--they are always glad to see me and it reminds me how far I've come in this journey, despite my recent lapse.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I used to work in a bottle shoppe in a very small town. When someone would stop drinking I wouldn't see them again and have stockpiles of their favorite drinks on inventory we had to return. I'd see them elsewhere later and they would be so much clearer and happier.
Good work!
Old 10-20-2013, 02:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great job Anchorbird! We are proud of you.

I rotated too - there are at least 3 store owners who will now have to make other arrangements for their kid's college educations.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hehe this thread is funny...
I didn't rotate cus I binged and by day 3 i'd been too unwell to get further than the closest (shakes and sweats)
My local store did start selling at 8am tho and it got so bad I'd be waiting and I used to wonder if I could convince them I was a night shift worker lol

Between binges I always used to wonder if they ended up overstocking vodka once i'd stopped and be pee'd at me!
Old 10-20-2013, 03:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've wondered if the Yuengling Brewery in Pottsville, PA has had to cut back on production since I stopped drinking at the end of August.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Orinthology- if they didnt with YOU quitting they sure have with me!!! LOL! Yes folks, I am a fellow "rotator" as well. A secret panic was always that one worker would get fired from one and rehired at another "rotation spot"- oh the pleasures of being sober!
Old 10-20-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Wonderful to hear
Old 10-20-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

this is a great thread, and topic. i used "sources" for my booze that were NEVER supermarkets or these clubs (costco, bevmo). Always liquor stores, or even...gasp...gas stations, why would i pay 25% more and not buy for multiple days? it was a delicate, anxiety riddled event for me, the idea of going into the market, going through the store, waiting in line , i just could not handle these delays... oh, and i never buy more than what i needed for the day, because i was quitting tomorrow
Old 10-20-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Originally Posted by Mentium View Post
'Some of us'..ahem..
LOL that killed me. I didn't have this problem. I drank wine, which I could buy anywhere! Just had to remember to not hit the Walgreens next to my house at the same time twice in a week. This is normal, rational behavior. Someone give me a headbang, I can't post it from the iPhone.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

LOL Anchorbird! I too love the title of this thread. I was just wondering the same thing this morning. I had several stores I would rotate throughout the week and usually only try to hit up each once twice a week. Thought I was very clever!
Old 10-20-2013, 04:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I used to also try to rotate stores, but after awhile I was so low that I didn't even care and went to the same one every day.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anchorbird View Post
I used to also try to rotate stores, but after awhile I was so low that I didn't even care and went to the same one every day.
This was me too. I was like screw it, I just want my beer.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by HeadLump View Post
I love the title of this, anchorbird!
Me too. Made me laugh when I first saw it.

They're probably also wondering why their inventory is so high.

I didn't rotate very much; too much effort and it cut into my drinking time.

At one store, the guy in front of me said, "I need to go commando tonight," just as the clerk was placing his bottle in one of the black plastic bags with gold lettering that populate liquor stores in NYC. I had no idea what the guy meant until I saw the clerk remove the bottle from the plastic bag and place it in a plain brown bag. On his way out, the guy said, "Y'up...wife's home tonight."
Old 10-20-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

This thread reminded me of how self conscious I was going into the bottle shop,I would do the rounds but even then I think that sales staff would think I had a problem.

I am so glad I don't have to experience these little humiliations anymore.

caiHong
Old 10-20-2013, 04:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

The cheap vodka stock I drank dropped 5 pts when I quit. I told a friend I was quiting and he dumped his stock and was busted by the FTC for insider trading