Notices

Little things that make big difference.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Smile Little things that make big difference.

Hi, SR mates.

On my sobriety journey I've started to pay attention to all the little things that make big difference. I am glad when I can see any little shift to better thinking and perception .

Here's my Saturday-Sunday story)

Well, you probably know the way Murphy's law works. 11 p.m. Everything's fine , time to brush teeth and go to bed. And out of the blue the drain of the sink is gummed up. I mean, not just a little, but water doesn't move at all - it's just still like smooth surface of the lake on a windless day.

While thinking over what to do, I caught myself comparing my "drinking" and sober way of dealing with little (and not so little) issues.

Here's two cases. So, 11 p.m. gummed up drain, and course of actions:

Case 1. Drinking scenario:

- "Heavy duty" cursing - WTF is just a warm up;
- Special occasion-heavy-duty-cursing appeal to all the possible high powers and recitation of all the misfortunes they've been showering on me from the hour I was born;
- "I need glass of wine to relax and think over how to fix it";
- Having a glass of wine and hoping that water in the sink will change its mind and make its way through. It doesn't;
- Having another glass of wine, looking at the sink, giving water another chance to change its mind.
- Making a "wine-wise" decision that I'd better take counsel of my pillow and invite another glass of wine for better counseling;
- Waking up next day hangover, in a terrible mood, hoping that by some PFM (Pure F. Magic) water's gone. No PFM - water's quite stubborn;
- Developing a chain of bulletproof logical reasonings - gummed up drain= my life is miserable.
- Finally fixing it (cursing and freaking out all the way) and rewarding myself with a certain amount of wine to make my life less miserable.

Summary: Miserable drama Sunday

Case 2. Sober scenario

- "Light part" of my cursing vocabulary - just WTF;
- Scratching my head;
- A pair of rubber gloves;
- Half an hour to make three attempts to clean up the drain pipe:
- A bit better, there are some signs of whirpool in the sink, but still gummed up;
- Another WTF;
- Scratching my head again=bulb moment- Tomorrow I will buy a drain cleaner and it should help;
- Having a good sleep. Waking up early. Taking care of a lot of things. Bought a drain cleaner. While it is doing its PFM I am taking care of other things;
- 2 hours later PFM is done, water is running through the drain like a mountain river;
- Off to gym , great workout, then a cup of coffee and a nice chat with a friend. Back home. Sipping tea and rewarding myself with my fav treatment - reading on SR)

Summary: Great productive Sunday.

Little things - but they make a Big Good Day)

Best wishes to all.

Have a great sober Sunday.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Thanks for the post MidnightBlue. I have seen people come back and say the changes between years one and two where actually bigger than the changes in the first year.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Great post, MB!
Old 10-20-2013, 01:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Brilliant post!
Old 10-20-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
The Kid

I hope people take as much from this post as I did

-ENC
Old 10-20-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

I think this is one of my favourite ever SR posts.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the story! It amazes me too how I now deal with things much easier and without all the drama. It took me a while to realize that I didn't need to make a big production out of every little thing. It was such a habit! Still not singing my way through a toilee that won't flush, but not poppin blood vessels over it either!