Notices

5 day binge, hating myself atm :(

Old 10-20-2013, 05:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5 day binge, hating myself atm :(

Ugh, so I've been on a 5 day bender after a few weeks sober and I'm having real problems with the anxiety and panic of withdrawal. I had half a can of beer left which I had this morning, it didn't make me feel any better.

I just want to get through today can't believe I feel like this again
Old 10-20-2013, 05:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good Morning Grind,
I'm sorry you're feeling so bad. It sounds like you realize how much better you felt sober, rather than how you feel this morning. Hang on to that thought.....get through today, and continue onto sobriety. Call your doctor if you are worried about your withdrawal symptoms. Stay hydrated.....water juice....maybe warm broth.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grindilow View Post
Ugh, so I've been on a 5 day bender after a few weeks sober and I'm having real problems with the anxiety and panic of withdrawal. I had half a can of beer left which I had this morning, it didn't make me feel any better.
This time last week, I could have written those very words! What a difference a week makes but I also know the frustration and anger we feel towards ourselves when this happens.

Hang in there - day one is better than day 0
Old 10-20-2013, 05:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

HI Grind. I've been worried about you and I'm glad to see you are back. I know you can do this.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Tea with five sugars and a banana is good. The banana especially gets rid of the fog because of the potassium. Aniseed twists are good aswell, but not so good for the teeth. You type well for someone in withdrawal so you must be a toughie. I would be on the floor, trying to reach the laptop with one finger.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks guys I'm trying to stay hydrated and I've got a banana if I can stomach it. I just can't believe I'm here again tbh. I've got a docs appt tomorrow and I'm going to ask about medications for reducing the cravings cause I can't get past a few weeks atm.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Hey Grind, it's good that you're back and ready to give it another go. It's all about taking it easy and looking after yourself today.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

oh, I so know how your feeling now. Don't even want to think how many times I went through it.

The last time, after a 10 day binge, I took photos of myself. Looking at them when I was thinking about a drink helped put me off lots of times in the next couple of months

Hope you feel better soon, glad you're going to see your doctor.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I do feel a bit better now I've posted. I have good family support but I think it's very hard for them to understand my issue.

My physical symptoms don't seem to bad it's just the mental side of things really getting to me, the anxiety is horrific.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

It's normal to relapse. It irks me when people look at the floor if it happens. I know it must be worrying for the folk around us, but I wish they realised it is part of the healing progress. Love the confucius quote by the way. You got it in a nutshell.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Originally Posted by Grindilow View Post
I do feel a bit better now I've posted. I have good family support but I think it's very hard for them to understand my issue.

My physical symptoms don't seem to bad it's just the mental side of things really getting to me, the anxiety is horrific.
Yeah, my family don't really get it either. That's why I find it important to seek out people who have the same issue as me and do understand. So SR and local face-to-face support from people who are alcoholics like me has really saved my butt time and time again.

The anxiety on day 1 and the first few days in general can be terrifying but I found it subsided after that. That's another reason why I was glad to give up alcohol - it just gave me the worst anxiety the morning after.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Ah, Grindilow! Your Confucius quote really does say it all - and you're back here posting and reaching out again which points to your own determination and glory

Remember this feeling, though. It will help if you recall it in all its utter awfulness when you are tempted next time

Your days will soon start turning into weeks again. You've already shown you can do it
Old 10-20-2013, 06:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Grindilow, glad you are back here and trying again. You can do this. Take care of yourself. I hope you feel better soon.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am sorry you are going through this! It amazes me that we put ourselves through such hell to drink. I have done it too many times to count.

It is great you are going to the doctor tomorrow. Be honest and tell them everything. I take Naltrexone for cravings and have been sober for a year. I have taken Campral in the past also and it is much more expensive and I didn't think it did anything.

Like everyone said, burn this feeling in your brain and know you never have to feel this way again!
Old 10-20-2013, 06:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome back Grindilow, I'm glad you're at SR again. I know how you feel with the anxiety, I used to have awful amounts of that plus obsessive-compulsive thinking and paranoia.

Take it easy today.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey bro, sorry to read about your pain... Alot of good advice here. Lots of liquid. Fruit if you can eat. Even a little walk....

Just remember that the symptoms are NORMAL for someone who was on a 5 day binge.. Probably that may comfort you somehow... Dont play with withdrawals tho. If it starts getting scary you should go to a medical facility... Withdrawals can be lethal... Good luck!!!
Old 10-20-2013, 10:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Grind. We have missed you! You can do this.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Still going. Went to the walk in centre because my panic wasn't abating so it was either go for medical help or drink again, glad I chose the former.

They gave me something to calm me down which I've took. I'm still very agitated but at least I've been checked out now by a professional.

I'm gonna go for a bath as my symptoms get worse when I'm just laying in bed!

I Can't wait for a new day, hope I never feel like this again. Thanks for all the support, you're all fantastic.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Glad your back grind. A few more hours and day one is over, glad your going to the doctor tomorrow take it easy drink tea
Old 10-20-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Im with you mate, Im recovering at my dads farm after a few day bender, past the worst but kicking myself ive slipped again, families find it so confusing- I had my brother-in-lar before say to me try drinking non-alcoholic beer in pubs! Its so hard for people who don't suffer this illness to get a grasp of the desperation and lack of control we have once we put it in our system. I know I need help and tried upping my aa meetings but didn't get a sponsor, this time I know I need to do exactly whats advised- I cant do this on willpower alone, and its a progressive disease so itl get worse every time we do pick up again. Good luck pal and stay strong. We've got a huge fight ahead of us. But it can be done.