Our Good Points

Old 10-19-2013, 04:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Our Good Points

Saturday, October 19, 2013

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Our Good Points

What's a codependent? The answer's easy. They're some of the most loving, caring people I know.
—Beyond Codependency

We don't need to limit an inventory of ourselves to the negatives. Focusing only on what's wrong is a core issue in our codependency.

Honestly, fearlessly, ask: "What's right with me? What are my good points?"

"Am I a loving, caring, nurturing person?" We may have neglected to love ourselves in the process of caring for others, but nurturing is an asset.

"Is there something I do particularly well?" "Do I have a strong faith?" "Am I good at being there for others?" "Am I good as part of a team, or as a leader?" "Do I have a way with words or with emotions?"

"Do I have a sense of humor?" "Do I brighten people up?" "Am I good at comforting others?" "Do I have an ability to make something good out of barely nothing at all?" "Do I see the best in people?"

These are character assets. We may have gone to an extreme with these, but that's okay. We are now on our way to finding balance.

Recovery is not about eliminating our personality. Recovery aims at changing, accepting, working around, or transforming our negatives, and building on our positives. We all have assets; we only need to focus on them, empower them, and draw them out in ourselves.

Codependents are some of the most loving, caring people around. Now, we're learning to give some of that concern and nurturing to ourselves.

Today, I will focus on what's right about me. I will give myself some of the caring I've extended to the world.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Honestly, fearlessly, ask: "What's right with me? What are my good points?"
Okay, I'll take the challenge and hope others join in.

What's right with me?

What's right is that today I work a daily program that helps me keep my balance as I go...good days and bad. It's a program of gratitude for all the many blessings in my life and one of "live and let live" where I no longer try to make anyone be who they are not. The world and all it's beauty is right with me today.

What are my good points?

My sense of humour. This is my strong suit and has seen me through some of the hardest times. When I first came to SR others here made me laugh...really hard...something I had not done in a very long time, so today humour is an important part of my recovery beginning with laughing at myself warts and all.

My good heart. I've always had a good heart and protected it for a while because it hurt too much when I loved that which I lost to addiction, my son. Today my heart smiles and the candles of hope and faith burn right next to the candle of love.

My faith, even when it becomes blind faith in times when I cannot see where life is taking me. I trust God today, I trust that I will be led to where I am supposed to be and I try to share that light with anyone who needs it.

Who else will take the challenge? Step right up, line forms to the left.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

What is right about me?

I am finding ME again. I am learning about myself, my needs, likes and dislikes. I know I am growing emotionally and spiritually. And I have faith complete faith in God and the journey of my own recovery.

What are my good points?

I am a good friend.
I am very loyal.
I am trustworthy.
I have a good sense of humor.
I am generous.
I have strong core values deep within.
I love God and know He loves me.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What's right with me?

It's unusual for me to be crying or look upset because I'm usually always smiling and laughing
I keep loving even when I'm knocked down a few pegs
I don't like to see others in pain
I don't like to see people treat others in a cruel way
I have a strong moral compass
I'm trustworthy, loyal and hardworking
I'm independent and always able to take care of me
I always end up doing what I need to so that I can have a better life
Old 10-19-2013, 06:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What's right with me?
I continue to grow and learn each day.

What are my good points?
I'm compassionate for others. I keep going. I am determined. I love to laugh. I'm getting better at gardening.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'd like to add, I love to laugh, even if I'm the only one who thinks it's funny.