Notices

21 days and want to drink

Old 10-19-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

21 days and want to drink

Why do I want to go out and get drunk in public again? Why?
Old 10-19-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Because the beast is trying to convince you it will be fun.

It's a trickster like that.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Because you are an alcoholic. Look up urge surfing on SR. This too shall pass, just accept that you have an urge, recognize it s only the AV and don t drink.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Acheleus, you know that you can get through this. You really CAN. I've been watching your check ins every day and cheering. You've taken so many steps forward, don't let the AV talk you into going back!
Old 10-19-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Drinking isn't the whole experience though is it ? ..

you might want to ride the high again but i recon you don't want the self loathing , the sweats , the headache , the loss of control , bodily and mentally , the random rubbish and dangerous situations that can happen , the high blood pressure , the liver damage , the kidney damage , the brain damage , the shakes , the money loss , the horrible sinking feeling of having to start sobriety all over again and wonder what the **** am i going to do different this time, when it can be so easily avoided now and save you all that hastle .

Good luck , m
Old 10-19-2013, 01:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post
Drinking isn't the whole experience though isn't it ? ..

you might want to ride the high again but i recon you don't want the self loathing , the sweats , the headache , the loss of control , bodily and mentally , the random rubbish and dangerous situations that can happen , the high blood pressure , the liver damage , the kidney damage , the brain damage , the shakes , the money loss , the horrible sinking feeling of having to start sobriety all over again and wonder what the **** am i going to do different this time, when it can be so easily avoided now and save you all that hastle .

Good luck , m
Ditto. Play the movie to the bitter end in your mind. It's the AV
Old 10-19-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't know about others here, but I only felt high maybe (emphasis on MAYBE) after the first two drinks. From then on, it was mental haze followed by pain in the morning.

And it would go on for weeks because I'm addicted to the possibility of that very short lived high.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Realising my life

You've been here before, Ach, and you know that you're bigger than this! Think how brilliant you'll feel tomorrow, delivered safely into your FOURTH week!

Give that AV what for and get on with enjoying your sober life
Old 10-19-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on 21 days sober. Don't undo all of the hard work that you have put into your recovery. These urges will happen less with more sober time. You have made a lot of progress. Keep moving forward.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Tell that AV to shut it's trap Ach! You can do this...

You really don't want to drink. Just think about how you would feel tomorrow morning.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ach, my experience with urges/cravings is that they have only have lasted for 1-2 hours max at a time. (and I am on day 21, too) Distract yourself with sober activities for a couple of hours and you'll feel better all the way around.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

Our bodies go through changes every 30 days. Be vigilant 10 days before that, sometimes several days after each 30 day mark....

Our body cells remember and want something they are comfortable with....(there's more to it, but this is it in a simplified version).

Congratulations on 21 days!!!!
Old 10-19-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

An oldtimer in AA told me once when I was having a really bad time that he thinks of it this way: There's a "lower power," just like a "higher power," but the lower power is your disease. It's cunning and baffling, right? So when it has a feeling that you are about to escape from it, it starts getting desperate and pulling out all the stops to get you back, just pulling you down really hard. He said if I try to think of it that way, I'll know that something good is on its way and maybe things are especially hard right now because they are about to get a whole lot better. That really helps me at times like this.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ran an errand. Read 100 pages of a book. Now going to have lunch and just be strong. Thank you for the perspective. I might go to a coffee shop for just being able to be around people. It sucks having no friends.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Imabuleva View Post
I don't know about others here, but I only felt high maybe (emphasis on MAYBE) after the first two drinks.
This.

Ach, think about how proud you will be of yourself when you go to bed sober tonight and wake up without a hangover, and with no regrets.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You've been doing so well. I hope you don't give in to the craving.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Please don't go back you will only have to go through this all again if you ever make it back to quit again.

Ride the cravings out, urge sure do whatever, they get weaker and weaker and you will get stronger and stronger.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

We are your friends, Acheleus! You have a world full of supportive friends here. Take us with you in your thoughts.

BE STRONG!!!!! You are worthy.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I often feel the same way "who would know?" "I have earned it", "I now know how to moderate"... they all sound great but it always ends the same or in my case much worse. Don't worry about tomorrow, just don't drink today. Good luck to you
Old 10-19-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Good on you for the 3 weeks. 3 weeks for me was the hardest. Something that helps me is to think I do NOT want to go though the 3 weeks again...it was tough and you have done that part. craving do not last....every time you beat it they become less...sometimes not my much but it is less....and not as strong....craving come and go..feel it...be with it...watch it leave...