Notices

Have you rewarded yourself for reaching milestones???

Old 10-19-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Have you rewarded yourself for reaching milestones???

Tomorrow will mark a week sober for me which is HUGE. I haven't gone a week sober for over 5 years! My good friend said I should reward myself and I figure Why Not? I am saving so much $ by not drinking and a little gift would be nice ;-)
Old 10-19-2013, 09:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hmmmm.... I think my answer to that is no, I haven't consciously done so. I've FELT the rewards in my life in general all along as my sobriety continues, and haven't felt the need or desire to do anything specific. I think others do that, and this is not intended to be critical of that approach either. Just a simple 'no' vote, that I haven't personally done so.

Congrats on your week!
Old 10-19-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I didn't reward myself until I hit 30 days but you should reward yourself when you reach milestones
Old 10-19-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, I have a few times, but it was things that I had neglected because of my drinking. For example, I bought some clothes (I needed clothes for work, but was always too hung over or preoccupied with drinking to go shopping). I also got a very nice haircut. I had let my appearance slide, especially the past year, and my hair was in dire need of a haircut. These activities felt like rewards to me--the reward of sober time to take care of myself.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not angry just direct

When I quit all drugs I'm going to buy myself an APX1200II (that's a really nice Yamaha semi-acoustic guitar), in black.

After that I'm going to get a new Braun electric toothbrush.

Goal-driven rewards are good.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes. Last time I went a week sober, I rewarded myself with a bottle of whiskey. I wouldn't recommend that. Stupid beast.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had to be very careful about this. I looked at alcohol as a "reward" in my life. For what? Working, living, breathing...

That glass of wine at 7PM was my reward to myself for a job well done. I looked it that way for years and justified it that way for years, too.

Honestly, and this is going to possibly sound lame, having my health and my mental faculties back after years of them being in decline has been the greatest gift I have given myself. Ever.

Good luck to you and do reward yourself if you can be sure that, as Iambuleva warns above, your AV doesn't hijack it.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ptcapote wrote: "Honestly, and this is going to possibly sound lame, having my health and my mental faculties back after years of them being in decline has been the greatest gift I have given myself. Ever."

That's the least lame statement I've ever read.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes. Living my life the way it's meant to be. Also new work boots and clothes. That's about it. And GOOD food, which I never had while drinking.
Congrats on five days!
Old 10-19-2013, 07:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes, I bought myself a little gift for first starting, then for 30 days, 60 days, 90 days, 6 months, 9 months, and 1 year. I plan to continue doing it on my yearly anniversaries from now on. They have all been little gifts of jewelry and I wear each one until I get to the next milestone. In my profile there is a pic of my 1 year necklace that I'm currently wearing. It helps motivate me to get to the next anniversary, and it reminds me of my commitment to sobriety in daily life too.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
LDT

When I was a week sober I rewarded myself by giving myself another week of sobriety. As my friend once told me " The reward of a good life, is a good life."
Old 10-19-2013, 07:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Absolutely you should anchorbird ... There is a little child in each of us that even tho we may be older , we like to be recognised for a job well done.

Nobody else has to know but you and whoever you choose to.

My hubby bought me a ring when I got to 3 months .with all the money we saved ..yes we ..cos our finances and my habit affected us both .

I look at it every day every time i wash my hands or take my gloves off at work and i smile.

It was under $100 cos we got it from an op shop , but that's what I love.

At 6 months we are going away for a weekend .....hmmm wonder what will happen if i get to 10 years ! I would've cleaned him out ha!

I understand tho how those that feel their sobriety is reward enough will suffice , because they feel that is their greatest gift of all.

Really , it's whatever makes you happy :-) Xxx
Old 10-20-2013, 06:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

no, i haven't.
and that's because in my mind that would put sobriety into a "chore-type" category; something rather horrid i need to do and get through. it wasn't an idea i wanted to encourage in myself. getting and staying sober were already what i really wanted, so...no reward for getiing and doing the thing i really want

five days is great! hope you have a big smile on your face
Old 10-20-2013, 07:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I would say why not?

I was just thinking about this yesterday. I have never had a smart phone (I know, I'm way behind the times), and I thought, why not treat myself and hubs and get them? We're 4 weeks sober.

So ya, totally treated myself