Notices

So, now I have all of this time on my hands.

Old 10-19-2013, 06:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The Kid

So, now I have all of this time on my hands.

Hello again guys, hope everyone is feeling good today.

I recently got to thinking that, drinking took up a really big part of my life. Not just drinking itself, but the whole process of it. Walking to the shop, purchasing, walking back and drinking. Not only that though, but when I was hungover I lost a lot of time because I couldn't go about my day when I felt so awful and sick.

I was just curious, how do you guys fill the time? Or how did you feel when you realised how much time you had just unlocked. It's a curious situation because I've always felt like I didn't have enough time but I now I've just been gifted and incredibly large amount of it and I'm actually lost as to what to do with it.

It's a sad situation but I have no idea what I like/enjoy doing anymore. As my lifestyle progressed alongside the bad habits that I had formed, I progressively dropped and stopped doing all of the things I enjoyed and now I don't really know what they are anymore. Don't get me wrong, I am so happy that I have all of this time and now I'm really excited to explore different things. I feel like I've been handed quite a nice opportunity and plan to eagerly take it with both hands.

Also it's worth noting that I'm not longer a student as I took a break for a year so I have no responsibilities at the moment, I moved back in with my parents so the only activity I have to do is looking for a job!

I just wanted to know - as I'm a newcomer - what you guys did and what you felt during the very early days of sobriety.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Time to do all those chores and things you thought about doing, surprisingly how fun the most mundane things can be when you are not tied down with hangover and anxiety, not to mention trying to do things when you are plain old drunk. It doesn't have to cost much if anything either. Read a book from a library, go for a hike. Go mall walking. etc. Amazing what you can do when the bottle is not the focus. Good luck.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I found spending time outdoors to be helpful, as I sat inside to drink. I started by taking long walks and now run. I enjoy going to museums, coffee shops, the library. Anything to get me out if the house and my previous routine.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Take it slowly, and learn to enjoy the free time.

It's a great time of year because I am making Christmas gifts, canning, baking, going for LONG walks with my dog (wears both of us out), playing outside with my daughter, watching movies. I even picked up a word search book and it really helps when I am bored. I do not have the concentration to sit down and read a book (can only make it about 5 pages before I get antsy) but I hope to get back into reading soon.

Take it one day at a time and remember to live in the answer, not the problem.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I filled my time by walking my dogs often. Anytime I got a craving or felt antsy I'd walk my dogs. They enjoyed all the walks and I stayed sober so everyone was happy.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For sure will come a time when you will wonder how you ever found the time to drink.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Work out a lot, sing in the church choir, play online games, read books. Normal people stuff. It grows on you.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Go apple picking.