Notices

The Funtional Drunk and a month now without booze

Old 10-18-2013, 08:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Funtional Drunk and a month now without booze

Drinking for the most part was not a issue the first 43 years but beginning in early 2011, it slowly became a habit that added nothing positive to my life.

My story is not dramatic. Early on I was the guy that was fun to drink with because I lost control and did stupid but entertaining things. Over the last 10 years I have become less social which is a product of where I live (x-pat) and endurance sports endeavors. I basically drink alone and always to excess and, to be honest, prior to 2011 it was manageable and fun.

Bad decisions I made the 2 years leading up to 2011 finally caught up to me. I was on top of the world and nothing could go wrong. In my early 40's, retired, travelling the world, drinking toooo much, a loving wife, and healthier than I had ever been. I was winning running races overall in many cases and always winning my age group.

Yep, I was full of myself and convinced myself I was incapable of doing wrong. Looking back, I was doing lots of bad things and as they say karma is a bitchh.

My drinking increased as all the bad decisions started to wreak havoc in my daily life. The long affair I was having with a beautiful young woman quickly became extremely detrimental to my mental health. I know, I'm a sleaze for chasing young women but if it is any consolation, I've been off the young women for 2 years. As the fun and fulfilling relationship unraveled I numbed the pain with more drinks.

This is becoming a novel! In short, about a month ago I realized getting drunk 4 nights a week was adding nothing to my life. Haven't had a drink since and only been slightly tempted.

What I've learned during the first 30 days. I'm far from perfect and not all that bad of a person. Alcohol dilutes reality and true introspection is impossible if you're an alcoholic. Even a functional alcoholic. Now I can see more clearly how to be a better person and not a selfish jerk. Also, endurance athletes will understand, I cope with injury in a sensible manner. Training through "PAINFUL" injuries and self medicating with alcohol and pain killers is not sustainable path.

My few friends don't even have a clue that I was downing 10-20 shots of whiskey 4 nights a week. I'm in a new town which is the norm for me. My friends are endurance athletes that I meet at the races. None of them drink.

Life rolls on and feeling at peace now with my less than perfect self. Stuck in the house now for 2 days because non-stop rain and haven't even considered drinking!
Old 10-18-2013, 08:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Siam, welcome.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! You've come to a very supportive place. I'm glad you found us and joined the family.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome siamamerican, SR is a brilliant place for support. Glad you have joined us.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Hi and welcome, SA. I was an expat for a long time and it is so tough to get sober in SE Asia. I don't know if you do AA, but there are plenty of meetings up there with some great people.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Curious. What type of endurance running events do you participate in? I was a distance runner, but drinking caught up with me and it became increasingly difficult to continue the sport. I eventually quit. Now I'm considering starting up again. Not sure if I want to, but it's increasingly in my mind.

Welcome!
Old 10-19-2013, 06:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

self medicating with alcohol and pain killers is not sustainable path.

So true.

I was a "functional alcohol" for years, no one, including my wife knew. My wife is an early to bed, early to rise kind of person and I'm more of a night owl. I drank alone at the end of the night for many years. I hit the wall at the age of 47 and my secret drinking was no longer a secret.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

siam, welcome to SR. you are going to appreciate SR, i know i do everyday. lots of good people, with honest evaluations of themselves and others, and encouragement to help you do the things you know you need to do.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Waking Up Sober--priceless

Hello Siam, I was (am) a functional drunk for 30 to 35 years, so I can relate to your post although my sport is cycling. I'm very glad to hear that quitting has been relatively painless as it has been fairly difficult for me (but I have 13 or 14 years on you). My recommendation is take advantage of your sobriety and maintain it at all costs, since it will only get more difficult in the future and some of the long term damage alcohol does is not reversible. Specifically, long term alcohol use shortens the DNA's telomeres making the possibility of future mutations much more likely as you age (think cancer, dementia, etc).
Below is are a couple of links you might find interesting:
Excessive Alcohol Consumption May Lead to Increased Cancer Risk
Deep Cravings | Harvard Magazine Mar-Apr 2000
Old 10-19-2013, 10:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Siam. Glad you have 30 days. I have no idea how you kept up a training regime and also managed to drink. While I reasonably functional when drinking, I was just keeping up with the basics: work, eat, sleep. Any other activity besides drinking wasn't an option.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and congratulations on your sober month.