Notices

Cold turkey after 14 years - uggggh

Old 10-18-2013, 05:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cold turkey after 14 years - uggggh

Everyone has their story... and mine probably isn't too different. I was (I'll use was very lightly at this point) an every day drinker for the past 14 years...late 30's now. Great life, great wife, great new kid. Drinking to me has always been a routine...and Ive acquired the taste of good whiskey...but the time has come to stop the train to an early life exit...

Im in very good shape, cycle competitively, and eat very well...so I do have discipline. But 6+ drinks on the weekdays and more on the weekends for this many years is making stopping very hard and painful. Drinking has never gotten me in to trouble, Ive never had a blackout, never done anything too regretful due to drinking...so I keep looking back asking myself what the problem was? Why do I have to quit this stuff... but with as painful as these past 5 days have been, thats kind of my answer I guess.

The lightbulb went off for the 100th time last weekend when I ended up consuming an entire bottle of good scotch, a couple glasses of wine, and 6 light beers on a saturday... It was a special family occasion at least.... I woke up the next day JUST FINE. Just another day I guess... Probably over 20 drinks from 1pm to 11pm...bed at midnight, up at 7 and went about my day.

Alcoholism runs in a few lines of my family. Ive lost 2 aunts and uncles within the past few years before they were 60. So I can see where the road heads...

Anyway....horribly brutal week for me. No shakes...just depression, tiredness, major irratibility, anger, and some feelings of clarity here there.

Kind of depressing that making it through my first NFL game in 14 years without a drink was such a big achievement...and now I have Friday, Saturday, and Sunday to mess with. Wow. :-)

Great supportive board here. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome,

It sounds like you made a good decision.

Do call your dr if you have any worrying symptoms.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, join the October group. We have some athletic guys in the group who sound just like you!
Old 10-18-2013, 06:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
EndGame

Like every other road in life that goes untaken, we cannot know what our lives might have been without the drink.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi clones - welcome to SR.

Congratulations on making this huge decision. It never occurred to me to quit in my 30's and things got so much worse as I got older. I was drinking 'round the clock in the end - completely dependent on it. This won't be you. Glad you're taking action.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I could see myself heading that way Hevyn... I need to try something. Once we had our baby, it made me look at this a little closer. I just cant even stick to the "firm" line in the sand of 2-3 drinks a night...its so horrible to me to even admit that anonymously. :-)
Old 10-18-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
Like every other road in life that goes untaken, we cannot know what our lives might have been without the drink.
Love that EndG.

Welcome to SR clones , keep posting and congrats for seeing it as it really is .
Its hard for a lot of us because i always felt dreadful the day after.

Kudos to you for recognising what may lie ahead due to genetics

Looking forward to more posts from you :-)

Old 10-18-2013, 07:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
p***enger

Clones2, welcome to SR. I was a daily drinker for most of my life age 14 to 50. By the end I was physically dependent, sick, and mentally severely depressed. SR has great support -- I've been off alcohol for 10 months and could never have done it alone.

If I can make a suggestion: don't worry too much about labels & definitions --"am I really an alcoholic?" -- just don't drink, one day at a time. It's what's good for you & your family, and if you're like me, you stopped really enjoying it a long time ago.

Looking forward to seeing you post here often!
Old 10-18-2013, 08:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi clones, welcome.