Notices

Pass employment and bad terms?

Old 10-18-2013, 11:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pass employment and bad terms?

How do you deal with pass employment and bad terms? I'm looking for a new job which things are going pretty well. I have two interviews coming up next week. When the recruiter ask me about my pass employment things went well until one which was in 2010. The heaviest part of the drinking. Drinking about 4 times a week. I was living in a different state and got my first DUI there. I quit the job because I could not do the job with my drinking problem at the time and not driving.

I explain what happen to the recruiter that I got a DUI at the time and could not do the job and quit because of it. I didn't tell her I have a drinking problem or anything. She pretty much told me that if they ask what happen about the job in the interview I will have just tell them that it was not a good fit with the new location and everything.

So I think, she know by that I had some what of a drinking problem at the time because none of the other newer jobs I have issues with. It seem like she didn't want me to bring up anything about what happen just to say it's was not a good fit.

Your advice about this?
Old 10-18-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

In my experience, as both an interviewer and an interviewee, interviewers are just trying to find a reason that you do not fit the mold. Because how much can you learn about a person in 1 hour, really? So if there are any glaring red flags, like a DUI, you get rid of them and move on to the thousands of other candidates who don't have that in their background.

The same would be true if you said "I had to leave my old job because it was interfering with seeing my parole officer." They don't really care if you have a drinking problem or not, it's just a red flag they don't need to deal with.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

there are alot of great web sites with answers to almost any interview question. i lost a job too and i got some great answers to give
Old 10-18-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Do you really need to disclose your DUI in the actual job interview? That's something that should come out in the background check and then it can be addressed at that time, if they choose to bring it up.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PippoRossi View Post
Do you really need to disclose your DUI in the actual job interview? That's something that should come out in the background check and then it can be addressed at that time, if they choose to bring it up.
There system was down and had to do it manually. So all this information was told by me over the phone. The DUI was not an issue with her. She just told me that I should not tell about the DUI thing until it comes up in an interview with the company

It's more about the reason why I quit a company and the way I left.