Notices

A bad year... A couple questions about the first few weeks...

Old 10-18-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A bad year... A couple questions about the first few weeks...

Hi,

My name is Nick and am 26... I was a moderate to heavy drinker for probably about three years, maybe 4. This year I ended up in the hospital for a week with panceatitus, I laid off booze for a couple weeks and then stupidly started up again... About a month later I was brought to a detox by friends. Since then I have tried moderate drinking, maybe a few times a week, but sometimes 2 beers turns into 6.

So anyway it has been causing anxiety the next day and i have become very worried that I will die or end up in the hospital or have DTs, I just cannot handle the day after.

I do okay if I really just stick to two, but I have finally decided that I WANT to quit. Its only the fourth day (I had 2 on Monday), I haven't had anxiety but I find that I feel very tired and sort of sickly at night? And very foggy as well.

Is that normal? My liver and pancreas and even heart (went to the ER in panic) have been checked in the last month and they are fine. I just have been worried about the sick feeling in my guts? And te foggy head. I would like to know if thats normal and what I might expect in the first couple weeks of being sober.

Thankyou so much, sorry for such a lengthy post.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Nick, sorry to hear that you’ve had a bad year. Well done on day 4. It sounds like you have done the right things with getting checked out by a doctor. It’s common to feel tired and foggy for a while.Your body needs time to heal to get back to normal. The first few weeks for me involved lots of ups and downs. However, after some time i started to notice the many benefits of being sober. It's worth it. If you still feel sick it might be a good idea to check with your doctor to put your mind at rest. There is lots of support here. Glad you have joined us.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! What you described is very common in early recovery. With time it will normalize. Hang in there.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Waking Up Sober--priceless

Hey Nick--I agree that these are just normal feelings that should get much better with time--but if they continue I would consult with a doctor.
I'm glad to hear that your pancreas is OK as this can end up being very serious--below is a link to a Medscape article about pancreatitis that you might find worthwhile.
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/706319
Old 10-20-2013, 04:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the replies... Made t to day 6 haha last night was probably the worst so far, but not to bad. I am stil worried abouy going through DTs, but thats unreasonable at this point I would think... Just being crazy
Old 10-20-2013, 05:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Expect to find out how much alcohol really effects our bodies and brains.

Everything is healing, so stay stopped!! After about 30 days, you'll be feeling physically better!!

Old 10-20-2013, 05:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Nick. Try to continue on the path of NOT picking up even if your aZZ falls off.

"This year I ended up in the hospital for a week with pancreatitis, I laid off booze for a couple weeks and then stupidly started up again... About a month later I was brought to a detox by friends. Since then I have tried moderate drinking, maybe a few times a week, but sometimes 2 beers turns into 6."

Please try to remember that alcohol is NOT a health drink, it's toxic! It affects us in different ways and we don't get Pancreatitis to get a star on our forehead.
Many people live in the myth that I can drink because everyone does. BS, if we are alcoholics WE cannot drink in safety and there is no such thing as moderate drinking period.

Millions have tried and failed. Just think that about 120,000 people in this country die each year from alcohol. Many trying to prove the above wrong. That # does not include those in jail on things they did while drinking or in mental institutions never to get out. Gloomy enough? Lets take a look at the pain the family's endure along with the familys that had loved ones damaged and or killed as a result of our drinking and thinking "I only hurt myself" Again BS. These things are avoided if we don't pick up that first drink. BE WELL
Old 10-20-2013, 05:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Good luck, Nick xxx
Old 10-20-2013, 06:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Welcome and well done on day 6. Yeah, I had the sickly, foggy, tired feelings in my early days too. I started feeling a lot better between day 7 and day 10. Hang in there!

Last edited by Louise82; 10-20-2013 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Didn't read the date stamp!
Old 10-20-2013, 06:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

nick, congratulations on day 6! your body needs some time to heal and recover, just take it easy, concentrate on staying in today, and being sober today, that thinking lessens our anxiety and brings a sense of manageability back into our lives. keep it up
Old 10-20-2013, 06:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on 6 days Nick. Best wishes.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Nick...I am on day 6 as well. After many relapses over the years, this has been by far the worst one. Finally woke up today feeling ok. From my previous experiences, my "fog" finally lifted after 90 days....I didn't even know I really had a "fog" until suddenly I started noticing things that I had not noticed before....nature, air, etc. I know it sounds crazy, but it is true. So even though I feel much better physically today, I do know that it gets even better. I, personally, just have to work through these feelings of remorse and self-pity for doing this yet again. Lots of baggage to clean up and today I am going to try to focus on what I neglected during the past month of binge drinking. Hang in there...we can do this!
Old 10-20-2013, 08:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

hey nick, im in the same boat and just coming through the other side of it, its normal to feel rough for awhile. i drink lots of water and eat fruit which is basically all i come stomach. keep it up!
Old 10-27-2013, 04:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks again everyone... Tomorrow will be 2 weeks... Last night I had to go to a wedding and it was an open bar. standing in line with my girlfriend for the bar wasn't fun, I actually did get a glass of wine... BUT on the way to our table I decided I did not want it and should not... It sat on the table in front of me for an hour and a half, untouched until I gave it away. Very proud of myself! Haha
Old 10-27-2013, 04:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Nick and congrats on 4 days and the decision to quit drinking. I am on day 8 and feel the same as you've described, it seems to come and go for me.
You should come join us in the Class of October.. Lots of great support there!
Old 10-27-2013, 04:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

good decision Nick
congrats on 2 weeks
Old 10-27-2013, 06:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Waking Up Sober--priceless

Hey Nick--great on the 2 weeks and very impressive with wine--way too tempting