Notices

All that booze $$

Old 10-17-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

All that booze $$

I haven't drank for 8 days, and, in addition to the obvious health and mental benefits, I'm beginning to realize the financial rewards! I usually incorporated my wine purchases with the groceries, so the total spent was buried in the budget. I never realized how much money I was spending on alcohol.

Yesterday I did my monthly trip to the warehouse club, where I have a usual pattern of purchases that makes the tally at the checkout pretty predictable. Well, when I saw the total this time, my eyes blinked a few times, and I looked back at my cart to see if I had rung everything. I had... then I realized it was minus the alcohol that I usually buy. This particular store was my source for the big bottles of hard liquor that served as my emergency stash (lots of emergencies) when the wine ran out.

A quick calculation and I think I'm going to save about $600 a month. I can't believe it. And that's not counting the alcohol tabs at restaurants. I'm frugal person otherwise, so this is another level of motivation for me to stay sober. :-)
Old 10-17-2013, 01:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on the savings! I too was spending $650 or more every month on wine. Quitting drinking is giving yourself a big fat raise!
Old 10-17-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's ace. Unfortunately I replaced my spending on booze with compulsive shopping so I didn't really see the benefits. In true addict fashion I decided I deserved stuff seeing as I wasn't drinking... Well done on 8 days x
Old 10-17-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm sure this is difficult for you, hypo... as readily available alcohol is, so are opportunities to shop. Take care.

Thanks for sharing your note.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I, too was amazed- and it is DEFINITELY another motivator.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I spent about 1k a month and now I have all that to myself. One of the benefits to sobriety.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That is such a great perk, isn't it EJ? The last time we were at a restaurant, I had to do a double-look on the bill. I though for sure that the waitress had forgotten someone's meal. he he he
Old 10-17-2013, 02:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Now that I don't drink one to three bottles of wine a night I'm saving a lot of money.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was a smoker as well and would power through a packet with each wine session which was roughly 5 days a week. My brain won't let me do the maths because I know I will be appalled. I too am a frugal person and will look for bargains and really think hard about the cost of things, whether or not I really need it or if I can get the same item cheaper somewhere else. Didn't seem to matter with booze or smokes though, must be saving close to 250 a week ( shudder)
Old 10-17-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I had calculated that I drank about $11-13 dollars of liquor everyday.

I'm on day 8 right now, and am now putting that money toward healthier food and finally some small house improvements.

Another great benefit, for me at least, is I have to keep myself busy when I get home from work to get my mind off of my old routines. I'm finally keeping the house clean(ish).
Old 10-17-2013, 06:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Between hubby and I we spent around 180.00 per month on booze. Now that it's just him and he's a normal drinker... It's like maybe 50.00?? Yay! I love saving money too and right now is actually a time that we really need to be saving money.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I didn't realize how much money I was spending until a few months after I quit and finished reconciling the checkbook. At first I thought I had made a mistake. Nope, it was the absence of all those weekend ATM withdrawals!