He made an impact on my life

Old 10-16-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

He made an impact on my life

I don't even know where to begin because so much is on my mind.
If you want, read my previous posts for more information.

Anyway...after meeting him, I have changed.
I changed my view on situations and on people. Especially on drugs/alcohol.
He has made me want to possibly go to school to study something relating to drug addiction.
Idk if it is just HIS addiction that I am so fascinated by or what but I might want to pursue a career with this.

As much as I have been hurt by him (intentionally and unintentionally) I do not regret any times I had with him.
It I never met him, I would not have discovered a lot about myself.

I haven't told this to anyone close to me bc they think Im crazy.
I only talked to him for like 2-3 months...but it's crazy how much of an impact he has made on my life.

Just venting

Btw, does anyone know of any good careers/schools to study addiction.
I am graduating high school and am considering the field.

I truly think I met him for a reason...I just don't know what reason.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Is there a guidance counselor at your school who could help you with this.

There are many fields for social work, a broader field may open a larger job market for you when you graduate.

Good luck.

Hugs
Old 10-16-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
●▬๑۩۩๑▬●

Just wanted to jump in here for a second. I so understand the part about finding addiction fascinating on a clinical level. However, you sound sorta young and I encourage you to really check your motives on this… if there is any thinking of you failed, maybe one day you could save him, or even save others, then I would suggest you find another topic of interest because the rewards…well they are few and far between. If you think you can keep it on a professional level, then many community colleges have D&A courses and certification programs. Maybe give them a try before deciding on a major at a university. And, there are many universities that do outstanding studies and research in the field of substance abuse. Lastly, and not that it means anything if this is a passion, you will not get rich doing any type of social work.

Edited to add: you also may want to check out the Counselor Magazine website. Many of the articles are on a subscription basis, however most institutions (high schools, colleges) have a password available to the students. Check with your advisor.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Crissyy,

I feel that way about many of my past relationships. I think they came about to teach me life lessons, help me learn what I did/didn't want from a partner. Sometimes I think people are brought into our lives to teach us specific lessons like compassion, or open us up to new interest, or just show us another way of being.

The study of addiction is fascinating to me also. I knew nothing about it until my husbands problem came about. There are a lot of careers that would have impact; from social work, psychology, psychiatrist and other medical doctors who specialize in addiction medicine, or even research. Going back even further there are indirect careers that can educate people, help direct their lives in other healthier directions - like teaching for example. If you like science you might go one direction, if your interested in dealing with people on a more personal level perhaps psychology? There are professional organizations for addiction medicine, reading up on the medical & research side of addiction through sources like National Institute of Drug Abuse might give you some additional insight.

Your post is very positive because it sounds like you are moving forward, thinking of how bright your future can be.