Notices

Convince me not to drink tonight lol

Old 10-16-2013, 03:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I work shift work....2 days 2 nights 4 off.......so after that second day shift I ALWAYS drink that evening when I get home because I dont have to work again until the following night,for my 2 night shifts.......Anyways Im at work right now ( on break lol ) on my second day shift....which means I can drink tonight......but I dont want to. Im tired of coming in for a NIGHT SHIFT THE NEXT EVENING AND STILL BEING HUNGOVER AND TIRED ! Convince me not to drink tonight please.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Don't drink tonight. Does that help? :-)

Don't forget: you're in control, not the booze. You can decide for yourself not to drink any.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Mark, think about how you feel with the hangover and being tired. Really think about it. The thing to do when you want a drink is to think about how it will make you feel. Sick, gulity, tired, ashamed and depressed. That's what keeps me sober. I don't want to feel that way. Very best to you Mark.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Madman Mark. I think you just identified the first reason - not wanting to go to night shift next time hungover and tired.
What else happens to you when you drink? What problems does it create in your life?
You sound desperate to stop yourself - which shows that drinking results in some kind of pain.Can you write a list at work of what you are risking if you drink and then another list of how you will benefit if you don't?
Hang in there! I'm trying to put up my biggest fight ever after numerous failures and am about to go to bed sober on night one. I feel relieved in that I'm safe from my drinking tonight. If you can just make it to bed sober, you might just find that relief too.
Good luck!
Old 10-16-2013, 03:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you don't want to feel tired and hungover don't drink. That is what is getting me through right now. Imagine how great you will feel tomorrow when you wake up tomorrow without drinking tonight!
Old 10-16-2013, 03:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Mark.

Don't drink tonight - make it Day 1 of your life-long great sobriety journey.

Because tonight your addictive voice will be telling you the same BS - you need to relax, take a break, you work so hard, etc. See it for what it is - BS. Because tomorrow you will wake up feeling like crap, with a terrible headache, and probably, "hugging the potty". What a great way to spend your day-off, and a lot of precious time of your life,isn't it?

Bottle is not your friend or remedy - it's devious deadly devil that is hiding inside and waiting for your to let it out.

Plan your night ahead. And enjoy great hangover tomorrow, sipping coffee, and being proud of yourself.

Have a great day and great sober night.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey MadMan, Play the tape forward to how you'll feel later. Shake yourself up, break your routine.....don't set yourself up for drinking by doing what you always do. In early sobriety I had to run errands, take walks....just get outside of the house and myself, till the urge passed
Old 10-16-2013, 04:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Madman Mark - find substitutes asap - something sweet, a greasy chicken dinner, ice cream, whatever you like that isn't alcoholic. Just don't go home hungry and thirsty. If the strong craving for alcohol comes over you, take 5 deep breaths, concentrating on your body. This helps me cope with cravings.
Hope you can do it! Let us know!
Old 10-16-2013, 04:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Friend-

You have power over your mind, not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.

Good luck and God Bless
Old 10-16-2013, 05:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Go on - drink tonight! What harm can it do!?

Go on - be a devil! You know you want to!

..well?
Old 10-16-2013, 06:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thats all some great advice....i think it'll work......Ill let you know. Thanks again for the quick replies and wise words.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Madman Mark. . . don't do it!!!!! You will feel good for a couple of hours, fall asleep and then feel HORRENDOUS!!!
Have a Chinese/or other takeaway and chill out. You will feel better for it in the morning and you will wake up hangover -free.
Good luck and keep posting!!
Old 10-16-2013, 06:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi, Madman... try this--take a piece of paper, and write 3 reasons why you don't want to drink tonight, and keep it handy tonight. Then, save another piece of paper, and, when you *don't* drink tonight, write down how you feel when you leave for work tomorrow.

Just try this once and see what happens. Just once. Or anything. Try anything! Just don't drink tonight.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Are you trying to shift the responsibility onto us so you feel less guilty if you fail?
Old 10-16-2013, 07:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Instead of drinking tonight, try something new. Read the book by Jason Vale - Kick the Drink . . . Easily. It will appeal to your intelligent, sensible side as to why it is idiotic for anyone to drink alcohol. It will make so much sense. Alcohol never changes - it is a poisonous, destructive drug. We have to change our perception of alcohol, to see it for what it really is, and then get on with leading a healthier, happier life blissfully, alcohol-free.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

Hi MadmanMark,

I tell myself this.

My body loves alcohol, it will drink as much as it can, until it gets sick. It will even drink enough to kill itself. Only my mind can stop this from happening. Even your mind wants to drink so your spirit is the last line of defence/defense.

Your spirit is what brought you on here, otherwise you would be drinking already. Submit then to your spirit and trust yourself.

Go home, run yourself a nice warm bath and have a restful nights sleep.
Wake up tomorrow, clean and sober and realize thats how you kill the desire.

Treat and sleep. Well its working for me.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MadmanMark View Post
I work shift work....2 days 2 nights 4 off.......so after that second day shift I ALWAYS drink that evening when I get home because I dont have to work again until the following night,for my 2 night shifts.......Anyways Im at work right now ( on break lol ) on my second day shift....which means I can drink tonight......but I dont want to. Im tired of coming in for a NIGHT SHIFT THE NEXT EVENING AND STILL BEING HUNGOVER AND TIRED ! Convince me not to drink tonight please.
I hope the reasons everyone suggested helped, but the decision must be yours. Best of luck.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Not angry just direct

Originally Posted by MadmanMark View Post
Convince me not to drink tonight please.
Today - and I'm not a regular drinker - I had one Jack Daniels mini (5cl) and 3hrs later I feel like **** already.

Alcohol never makes me feel good and the after-effects hit my mood for 3 days after drinking it.

2 days ago I poured my 3 cans of lager down the sink because I decided I don't want to drink anymore. Because I have the flu I talked myself into one little medicinal JD today, and now I wish I hadn't.

Alcohol is the worst of all the drugs I've ever taken and thank god I never became an alcoholic or I'm sure I'd be dead today.

In other words, don't drink tonight. You'll feel like crap.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I cant believe all the positive responses and great advice already......thanks again. Im gonna order some take out and read a book that Ive been trying to read for the last month lol. I feel soooo loved here lol.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Well it worked. I ordered some take out for me and my girl last night so instead of us "both" drinking we stuffed our faces and watched a couple of movies instead. Woke up today feeling great and got alot done today without being hungover. I think Ill try that more often lol.