Notices

But I don't need detox?

Old 10-15-2013, 01:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

But I don't need detox?

I'm leaving for inpatient rehab Sunday or Monday.
The first part of rehab consists of a detox center/partial hospitalization. The thing is I don't need detoxing. I'm an alcoholic of course, but not chemically dependent. I can go days or weeks not drinking, it's just that when I do I'm a blackout binge drinker. I intend to have been sober for several days when I check in. I've explained my drinking habits and they're still bringing up detox. How are they going to detox me if I'm already alcohol free?
Old 10-15-2013, 04:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I suspect that they are just being cautious about your health. Those involved in treating alcoholics learn early that their patients are not always honest about their past drinking. You are likely in a one size fits all treatment plan based on that assumption. Relax, it won't hurt and it might help.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
First off, congrats on seeking treatment.

If you think you won't have any withdrawal symptoms, then you'll likely be out of detox within a day or two. Trust me, they will need the bed for someone who is really hurting.

But you have to understand, they don't know how you your body will react to not having alcohol. It's a precaution. Everyone comes in under the same assumption that they need to be monitored in the beginning.

Good luck!
Old 10-15-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ain't no big deal, my detox just meant a special room where I was monitored closely for a few days and some librium. Sleep, read, whatever. They are wise. Do what they say, save your critical thinking for another time...
Old 10-15-2013, 07:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Bring a good book
Old 10-15-2013, 07:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

the first step in letting go and being okay with not running the show
Old 10-15-2013, 07:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No half measures

it might be good for you simply be cause you'll get to see what people with physical addiction go through to remind yourself that this is where you will be in a few years.
I'm sure this is a CYA move because should you die it is not much an excuse to say oh I guess she did need detox. Our best thinking got us to where we are it is time to listen to professionals
Old 10-15-2013, 08:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Go ahead and go thru detox. What can it hurt?
Old 10-15-2013, 08:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ever watch the show 'House'? Everybody lies. That is their assumption, about everyone they admit, that they may be lying about their condition, or perhaps not totally in their right mind even. It is more than CYA IMO, it is caring at the maximum level.

I walked in drunk as a lord and reluctant, detoxed a few days, and in a week was allowed full privileges the same as those that walked in sober and happy to be there for their treatment. My counselor told me later that they were quite concerned about my prospects for sobriety and living that first few days, and also told me what they observed in my reaction to treatment that changed their minds.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I did the same thing - and I was a binge drinker too. They have to follow procedure - it's not uncommon for us to be less than honest about the amount we drink.

They will observe you and move you out when it's appropriate.

You're going to be just fine.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh I'm not opposed to doing it, I just wondered what it would involve for someone like me that won't have withdrawal symptoms to begin with.
I hope they'll have books there, my packet said no leisure reading material allowed. Which I've heard is mainly because they'd have to approve all of it which would be time consuming so they have their own selection, I hope that's that's the case.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
EndGame

A lot of good insights in this thread.

More generally, we're often not very good at assessing what it is we actually need to heal in active alcoholism and in early sobriety.

When my three-year relapse came to a close due to my inability to take care of even basic needs, it was a huge relief to have other people nurse me back to health, both in detox and then rehab.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The place I went to didn't allow reading material either. We all went in through the 12 bed detox unit. Some people didn't even stay a full day, it was just a way to screen everybody before they released us into a less restrictive area. It actually afforded me to meet a smaller group, in fact at the place I went, a lot of us forged pretty tight bonds with the people who were in detox at the same time together.

The things I feared the most actually ended up being the best parts.

I was reading a book called Hemingway's Boat on the way. They took it away from me in detox, I told them to keep it. Two weeks later I see a guy walking and reading the same book and told him I had been reading it when I was admitted. He told me they gave it to him in detox!

I was in detox for 2 days. There was a fish tank, a kitten puzzle with about 8 pieces missing and a few inspirational books that were missing a lot of pages. No tv, no newspaper, no computer.....it was actually amazing.

I went in with an open mind, I figured, they do this all the time. However in a way it was brilliant. After a month of 5:30 wake up, no razors, no soda, no gum......who needed booze when I got out! We were only allowed real coffee from 5:50 am to 8 am. I was the first one there to catch the first drip because it was really watered down.

Don't worry, it will be amazing!
Old 10-15-2013, 09:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Progroupie View Post
Oh I'm not opposed to doing it, I just wondered what it would involve for someone like me that won't have withdrawal symptoms to begin with. I hope they'll have books there, my packet said no leisure reading material allowed. Which I've heard is mainly because they'd have to approve all of it which would be time consuming so they have their own selection, I hope that's that's the case.
I see. Tough to answer as will vary by facility. Just go, and don't be afraid to communicate with staff at appropriate moments. Worst case scenario is a day or two of boredom which won't harm your recovery a lick and may actually help.