Notices

What to ask the Dr.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What to ask the Dr.

I posted earlier about my husband and I quitting drinking together after one last unfortunate event fueled by booze. That being said, he is doing very well, 9 days sober (he stayed the first week at his mom's house) I am on day 2 sober. In that week we were talking possible divorce etc, I have a 17 year old daugther who is also contributing to the stress in the home (another story) ok so many times over the years I have had days at a time that i didn't have a drink, but for some reason the anxiety I am feeling is crushing me. I made an appointment with my family doctor for today...what do i need to ask for, is this all anxiety related to the thought of not drinking (which I fear I can't do) Everything we've done for the last 15 years has revolved around drinking. I know I have to be honest with the dr. but I'm not sure what to expect. I've seen the same dr. for 16 years and i've never even mentioned an alcohol problem.....ok I'm rambling a lot here....just need some relief from all the anxiety...
Old 10-14-2013, 10:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I think honesty is the best policy M.o.n ,

Have a chat with them , be honest , find out about what face to face support maybe available , also talk about the anxiety and stuff .

Might be worth asking about a liver function test ... i don't know i''m not a Dr or in America to know about your health system there .

Good luck , m
Old 10-14-2013, 10:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Anxiety, depression, fear and alcohol dependence make up a heady mix and I have personally concluded that alcohol definitely makes anxiety and depression worse and often causes it in the first place. Sadly by the time we recognise the drinking issues the other 'mental health' issues are also well established.

Your doctor should know this, but he/she may not. So perhaps be prepared to discuss the 'mix' of issues with them. It is the doctor's job to tease out the medical issues after all.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It gets tough around here (for me at least ) anytime the word "Doctor" is brought up. There are lots of opinions regarding that, and it is my experience that some believe these opinions to be fact. I am making no claim whatsoever that what I state is fact, and say the following with the very clear disclaimer, that the following is MY opinion only.

Doctors are indeed important to us, and have their place in the world of healing. They do not however always give perfect advice, and often treat illnesses by medicating them, as opposed to healing them. I believe it was someone on this forum that stated that we don't really have much health care, but we have a whole lot of sick care. Doctors often just patch up the things that are broken. Sometimes it works and things heal on their own time anyhow, other times they don't. And often times they get worse. It's been my experience with several of my own health and mental issues, and I've seen it in people very close to me.

Anxiety, fear, and depression were the reasons I drank. When I stopped drinking, it got worse. When someone drinks for years and then stops - they're not supposed to feel good. Anxiety, panic, depression, withrdrawl, all that stuff... is a part of getting clean. Yeah, some people experience a high off of the fact that they're free from the clutches of a drug or drink, but from what I've seen and experienced, most people struggle. Or at least the ones who had a problem like me.

I was fortunate in my recovery to not be given the option of taking any substances to help with my panic and anxiety. And I was agoraphobic, couldn't get too far from my house without assistance (usually a big push), and was forced to deal with my fear and feelings when I was out of the house. Because of that I learned ways to navigats and deal with them, and found myself slowly healing. I don't believe I would have learned to be free from all that, had I been medicated. And if I did, I think it would have taken much longer. I have friends who have been medicated, for panic/anxiety/depresssion, and they never did recover from it. From what they've shared with me, it seems mine was also much more intense and debilitating than theirs. It was more crippling, for certain.

You posted here, I assume looking for our thoughts on this. Mine are, as others have said, to be completely honest about everything... but to be very careful if you're offered any medication for the anxiety. If given time and tools it absolutely (in my experience) can be alleviated without medicating, and I think the gifts of learning to grow through our problems are enormous. Doctors can tell some real important stuff through bloodwork, if we're hypoglycemic, if we have thyroid problems, if there are other things going on with us physically. They cannot, and this IS a fact, diagnose brain imbalances that they sometimes talk about. Everybody has chemical imbalances in their brain, so it's accurate for them to say that, but the imbalances can't be pinpointed, AND they don't test for it before prescribing medication. I've been researching this stuff a bit, because I'm passionate about it.

Some people are equally passionate about medication being a huge part of their road to recovery, and they have their experience to share too. There's lots of into on this forum on the flip side of my opinion. I'd advise you to be as honest, open minded, and willing as you could possibly be with yourself and then just put the next foot forward. Best of luck.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Could your doctor recommend a good counselor? That might help with your feelings of anxiety. I see a counselor regularly and it's a big help with my life.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
p***enger

Congratulations on your decision to get sober!

You don't say if you're having any physical problems -- if you are, I'd suggest you tell the Dr. about them.

Otherwise, I can only relate my experience. I went to my Dr. at about 1 month sober. After a kind of normal checkup:

He said, is there any change in your health I should be aware of?
I said, I quit drinking.
He said, Oh, did you drink a lot?
I told him how much.
He said, that was a lot. What made me want to quit?
I said, I'd been very depressed.
He asked, was I going to AA?
I said, Yes.
He said, well, keep doing that. AA helps a lot of people.
He said, if I continued to be depressed, he'd help me find a counselor.
Then he called me the next day, just to ask if I was ok.

It turned out to be really easy, and really comforting. I'm glad I did it.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No half measures

Although it did not workout this way for me in hind site I would have:
  • been 100 percent honest with the doctor
  • gotten a very complete physical and blood work
  • ask for a referral to a Dr w specialties in addiction
  • ask for a referral to a psychologist w specialties in addiction
  • if the budget allows intensive out/ inpatient therapy

Eventually I did all of these things but not in the order that I should have
Old 10-14-2013, 12:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your decision to begin recovery. It's a great choice and can be the start of an amazing journey. I started my journey with a visit to the doctor. I told her I was deeply concerned about my drinking and asked for blood work related to my liver levels.
Once I told her, I felt like a huge weight was lifted from my shoulders. Finally, I talked to someone about it.
She was really helpful in suggesting an outpatient program. Your doctor might be able to help you with a lot of information in that area.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I encourage you to be honest with your doctor. They hear all kinds of stuff. It's their job.

As to medication for anxiety or depression - I have found that some anxiety and depression can not be alleviated by"growing through it".

In addition, the idea that some one needs to do a blood test to diagnose chemically treatable anxiety or depression just doesn't have anything to do with reality.

I myself resisted taking medication for depression. It was prescribed to me without any "blood tests" to determine any "chemical imbalance". I'm VERY thankful to my doctor for prescribing it.

There have been NO side effects and my life was made much better because of that help.

For me, the idea that you shouldn't get all the help you can to deal with mental and emotional issues seems like something out of the dark ages. I'm very glad I was able to grow out of that viewpoint.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ClearLight View Post

As to medication for anxiety or depression - I have found that some anxiety and depression can not be alleviated by"growing through it".
For those who can grow through it, it doesn't happen overnight. It took me well over a year before I could go 20 miles from home without anxiety and panic. And it takes a solid commitment to sobriety. It is impossible, as far as I know, for someone with a drinking problem to continue drinking and resolve any anxiety, panic, and/or depression issues while doing so.