Notices

Giving this another go

Old 10-14-2013, 04:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Giving this another go

Hi all,

I joined here back in June and made several attempts to stay sober. I notched up a couple of weeks here and there and during those times I had a brief glimpse of what a sober life can feel like. It felt really good. That's why I'm back to try again. My biggest problem is that I also still love drinking. I use alcohol for stress relief. Something to look forward to after a long hard day. I'm a relatively well-behaved drinker (this hasn't always been the case - drinking has got me in BIG trouble in the past) and in recent months, since discovering SR I have manage to have lots of sober days which my body and mind have really appreciated. I started a new job in August and found myself struggling with time management. As my stress levels increased, I felt myself slipping back into my old ways. I'm just getting over a bout of pneumonia, this is the 4th time I've had it in 2 years and I know that my drinking has increased my vulnerability to this condition.

So here I am, again, on Day 1. Today I will not drink.

Butterfly
Old 10-14-2013, 05:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your attempts. For myself I needed to be sick and tired of being sick and tired and without reservations stop. I needed to remember that if I did not pick up that first drink that I would not have to get sober AGAIN. Many resist but I went to many meetings where there was much help available both in person and the phone where people understand us. This site has much valuable info and helpful people also. BE WELL
Old 10-14-2013, 05:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can totally relate! So here we go girl day 1 for both of us! Today I will not drink, even if I have to take it one minute at a time. Stay in touch butterfly. Namaste
Old 10-14-2013, 06:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that you have been unwell. I'm glad you are here and trying again. I also used to drink for stress relief but in the end that made me even more stressed out and anxious. Exercise helps me a lot when i feel stressed out now and it stops me thinking for a while. Wishing you best of luck.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Butterfly.

You know I used to love drinking too.. Or I thought so... New Year without Champagne? Come on, you gonna be joking here... Relaxing on Friday night, after a long stressful week at work, and without a "glass" of wine (which finally turned into a bottle, and then more)...

I loved my wine...

I was a well-behaved drinker as well... At least I believe so...

Now I rarely if ever miss wine - just some fake "nostalgia phantoms" of my memories and futile attempts of AV.

New Year is sparkling enough without wine.

Friday night is great on its own.

Fight for you sobriety, Butterfly! It's absolutely worth it.

Get well soon!
Old 10-14-2013, 06:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I too enjoyed drinking when I decided to stop. I had trouble believing it wouldn't be a part of my life again. It's been over a year now, and I don't miss it anymore. I now view drinking as unhealthy. I still am high strung and get stressed, but deal with it without drinking. I enjoy long walks and yoga and feel healthier.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good luck! You CAN do this.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I love drinking, too. Everything about it, except how it made me feel, how it was aging me, and what it was doing to my time with my family, all the wasted time nursing a hangover instead of enjoying my life.

I find phrases like "never again" and "quitting for good" too overwhelming. It's only been 6 days, but your focus on today is what's working for me so far. I will not drink today, and neither will you.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You can do this. Focus on your goals and do whatever is needed to reach them. There is no doubt that sobriety will improve your health but you have to give it a chance. Give sobriety a chance to show how great it is. Keep posting as this helps to focus the mind.good luck
Old 10-14-2013, 10:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome back.
Originally Posted by butterfly33 View Post
Hi all,

My biggest problem is that I also still love drinking. I use alcohol for stress relief.
Love? I think your addiction loves alcohol. That's why you struggle. You need it. There's a difference and failure to quit usually shows us that if we are honest with ourselves.

As for stress relief, if you look at your drinking patterns I think you will find a lot of reasons you drank. Or no reason at all.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good luck! Day 1 (again) here too.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I can relate to everything you said. Day 1 for me as well.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
EndGame

Hi Butterfly.

Happy you're back.