The Book "The Journey from Abandonment to Healing"

Old 10-13-2013, 10:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Book "The Journey from Abandonment to Healing"

The Journey from Abandonment to Healing by Susan Anderson

I just started reading this book; into chapter two.

Good lord, who else read this book and did it make you constantly bawl?
Jeez; I can only read a bit at a time.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nbay, I read this book a couple of years ago, and it played a huge part in my healing. Huge. Bigger than huge.

I did the same thing you are doing. Cried like a baby through the whole thing, but felt incredible relief that someone was putting into words what I hadn't been able to articulate for my entire life. Somebody actually got it. I also remember my body having chemical reactions while I was reading it. I would feel the fear of abandonment, physically, in my body while I read. I'm feeling a little bit of it right now just thinking about it. It's really powerful stuff, that fear of abandonment.

With that book and my counselor's help, I was able to piece together why I would always choose broken alcoholic/addicted men. My alcoholic father left my family when I was a little girl. I spent the next 35 or so years of my life looking for someone just like my dad who would love me and not leave me.

Such a good, powerful book. I had to read it in small doses. Good luck with your read. Let me know how it goes for you.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nbay

I've read part of the book and found it really insightful. I have yet to do the exercises in the book I think that will be the scary part for me. The author has a web site as well if you are interested. There is another author you might find her books useful too....Tian Dayton; Heartwounds and Emotional Sobriety they are helping me in my recovery

Xx
Old 10-14-2013, 09:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HealingWillCome View Post
Nbay, I read this book a couple of years ago, and it played a huge part in my healing. Huge. Bigger than huge.

I did the same thing you are doing. Cried like a baby through the whole thing, but felt incredible relief that someone was putting into words what I hadn't been able to articulate for my entire life. Somebody actually got it. I also remember my body having chemical reactions while I was reading it. I would feel the fear of abandonment, physically, in my body while I read. I'm feeling a little bit of it right now just thinking about it. It's really powerful stuff, that fear of abandonment.

With that book and my counselor's help, I was able to piece together why I would always choose broken alcoholic/addicted men. My alcoholic father left my family when I was a little girl. I spent the next 35 or so years of my life looking for someone just like my dad who would love me and not leave me.

Such a good, powerful book. I had to read it in small doses. Good luck with your read. Let me know how it goes for you.

Thanks for writing and letting me know you had a similar experience. I feel less alone and less nuts!
Old 10-14-2013, 07:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Abandonment is a nasty, powerful thing that can be delivered in many forms, whether the abandoner is physically absent or not. IMO, I believe its at the root of many people's real issues.

I did have some trouble with the exercises in the book. I just couldn't wrap my mind around some of them at the time, but I found a couple of them to be very useful and still use them occasionally. You'll have to let me know what you think of the exercises if you try them.

Hands down, this is the one book that helped me the most through a painful process of self-discovery a couple of years ago.

Brightstar, thanks for your book recommendations...I'm going to give them a look.