Notices

Packing for rehab

Old 10-13-2013, 08:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Packing for rehab

I have a list of dos and donts from the facility and I have a few specific questions I'm calling about but I wanted a little more insight.
Specifically cosmetics and hair products and toiletries. I know there's the common sense stuff like no aerosol hairsprays or mouthwash with alcohol but are there certain ingredients I need to avoid in things like face wash or hair gels and creams? What about topical acne or skin care products?
I've heard mixed opinions on photos and momentos.
Any advice or experiance on what you packed or wish you'd packed?
Old 10-13-2013, 08:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Progroupie! I don't have any information to offer, but wanted to send my well wishes as you begin your journey to rehab.

I'm sure others will be along to answer your questions.

Best Wishes To You!
Old 10-13-2013, 09:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
In my rehab, people were allowed some skin products as long as they didn't contain alcohol or aerosol. Obviously, best bet is to call, but at worst, they'll just confiscate it and return it to you when you are discharged.

I didn't get to pack for rehab. I went straight from the hospital to rehab. My mom brought me a trash bag of clothes she rounded up in her house left over from when I was in high school (I'm 31 lol). I got deodorant, soap, shampoo and a razor/shaving cream from the nurse station, and I borrowed some detergent from another patient to wash clothes. My counselor also got me a notebook and pen to write.

I wish I had the chance to pack some books and magazines. All the books in the "library," which was basically a shelf in a closet, did not look interesting and looked like they had been there since the 80s.

Number 1 item is definitely a calling card. Then cigs if you smoke, and quarters for vending machines and laundry.

Good luck in rehab!
Old 10-14-2013, 01:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

All the best to you in rehab. I hope it gives you a good start on a new better life.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I called and got more specific answers to the matter of stuff like toiletries, alcohol free is all that matters. And I did find out I need calling cards.
I forgot to ask about cash for laundry. Do you think I'll need cash or need to open an "account" at the facility so to speak?
Old 10-14-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA member

I don't know about rehab either,but welcome to SR and wishing you well at rehab.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi ProGroupie! I can't help you with rehab tips either unfortunately. However, I can welcome you to SR!!! Glad you found us!
Old 10-14-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

(prayers are much better than luck)

Originally Posted by Progroupie View Post
Any advice or experiance on what you packed or wish you'd packed?
you need not take much with you

the treatment center I went to supplied all my needs

I guess yours will also ??

best thing to bring is a true desire to stop drinking and or using

and

there will be much to learn there -- if serious

many good tools may be picked up in treatment

best of luck wished for you (prayers are much better than luck)

Mountainman
Old 10-14-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Progroupie View Post

Do you think I'll need cash or need to open an "account" at the facility so to speak?
take some cash with you
I bought a lot of needed candy while there
and a few other little things in the gift shop (if you have a gift shop)

best to take some cash and not need it
that to need some cash and not have it

they also trucked us to outside AA meetings
always a nice thing to drop a buck in the bucket (if we have it)

Mountainman
Old 10-14-2013, 07:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

when I went to treatment, it was a little different because the place treated so many addictions and mental illnesses, including eating disorders.

Mostly what I regret not having are: plenty of things to do in your free time--books, something to write or draw with (even coloring books and crayons can be a good distraction and way to fill the time). I was also (surprise surprise) intoxicated while I was packing so I did not bring nearly enough clothing.

I would think most self-care products would be okay as long as the first ingredient is not alcohol, but that is something different for every treatment center probably...
Old 10-14-2013, 09:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My Rehab did not supply shampoo, deodorant, all that kind of stuff. I later learned that they do have supplies for those who absolutely had nothing. I also could not leave a razor in the bathroom. I had to ask for my eyeglass cleaner. It was stored with my meds. Simple medication like for diarrhea, Tylenol, etc had to be locked with meds. I brought mine. I was allowed to bring in the Melatonin I brought, kept with meds too.

I was given sheets, and a very thin dual purpose blanket/comforter. I had my husband bring a couple comforters from home. Also a bath towel and wash clothes ( none provided) Powdered Detergent provided, fabric softener not. Again, had hubby bring liquid detergent and dryer sheets. I think that covers it on these type of items. After being admitted I was given a ONE time only for family to drop off things we'd forgotten or the items they didn't provide. I hope it was helpful, however, I'm sure every Rehab/Treatment Center runs it their way. So, I'm pretty sure they've already informed you. Bobbi
Old 10-15-2013, 09:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was told not to bring any linens when I asked if I could bring a blanket from home. So I'm assuming towels are included in that.
They told me my mother could stay during the intake process so I guess if worse came to worse she may be able to run out to pick a few things up while I'm doing paperwork. Visitation is allowed each week so I would assume your family can bring you things like if you run out of toothpaste etc. I'm considering an extended program that could last from 4 to 12 weeks.
I feel like I'm packing to move into a college dorm, do I need a shower caddy for shampoo and such? I'm expecting large communal baths. This is by no means a luxury facility but it is a private one and not like a hospital or anything, you're checking yourself in willingly and have a chance to prepare.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I wish I had brought a cheap watch. We weren't allowed linens either. I had a few weeks to get ready too. Also, flip flops. Baseball hats. Ear plugs and sleep mask. We were told not to bring musical instruments but a lot of people brought guitars. Oh, a good backpack to carry your stuff around to class, pens, etc. Not sure if you are a guy or a girl, I lived in yoga pants.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wearing nothing but sweats and yoga pants is what I'm looking most forward to actually!
Old 10-15-2013, 11:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Also a battery powered alarm clock is nice to have--at least at my treatment center we were not allowed anything with a cord unless it was locked up.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Progroupie, welcome. It is awesome that you are going to rehab. You will be in my prayers. Grouphug
Old 10-15-2013, 11:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Pro... Our friend and SR member Raider just went to rehab, and posted a similar question. The link below is to the page I posted a long list on (on my mobile so I can't cut and paste the copy). My post on that page has a long list of all the stuff I really found useful.

Good luck to you! Rehab is hard, but it's also incredibly worthwhile and helpful. You are so very lucky to be going!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post4231817
Old 10-15-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by feralfemale View Post
Also a battery powered alarm clock is nice to have--at least at my treatment center we were not allowed anything with a cord unless it was locked up.
I was thinking about an alarm clock, I have a cutesy one that I know will brighten my day.
I need to get a battery put in an old watch as well.
And maybe some sort of bedside night light? Not the wall kind but the sort you put on the night stand and tap. It's been awhile since I've had roommates so I think that would be most considerate for getting up in the night.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

From looking at that previous post I wonder if I need to call and ask about drawstrings. A lot of my comfy/sweat pants have drawstrings and if that's a no no I may go to Walmart and pick up some of those $5 a piece Hanes sweats because hoodies have strings as well.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The rehab I was in would lock up your razor, personal meds. We were allowed shampoo and such after it was searched. My family snuck in coffee with caffeine (don't do that) and smokes and are rooms were searched when we went to AA meetings and other outings. We could bring our own books but they had to be approved by our counselors before we could get them back. It was very controlled, but also very helpful. Except the caffeine thing. Good luck and keep an open mind!!