Notices

is this a test

Old 10-13-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

is this a test

I made day 9 today , doing meetings and praying. Now my car broke down and heaped a ton of anxiety on me . Just getting to work is going to take some doing. Is this a test ? It's not going to compromise my sobriety
Old 10-13-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Cars do that sometimes. It's how we react to such things that counts. I hope you can get it fixed soon.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Nope, no test. It's just life. We all have to deal with it. Drinking certainly won't fix your car.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Ricky, this is life on life's term. Everyday, thousands of cars break down throughout this country and their owners do not get drunk or high over it.
Worst things will happen unfortunately during your hopefully long and sober life and you will have to learn to deal with it without getting smashed.
There are no reasons to drink or use, just excuses.

and a hug because I know I just sounded like the mean auntie but hey, it is what it it LOL
Old 10-13-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Best of luck with the car and I hope you get it sorted out soon. Stick with it and don't let this get you down. I slipped this weekend and am paying the price with lots of anxiety today. Drinking will only make the issue seem worse. Take care!
Old 10-13-2013, 04:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good luck getting your car repaired.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

make some calls to get a ride to work in the morning...
good luck with the car.
be proactive not reactive...
but as a woman, (who knows nothing about cars)....when the car breaks, it freaks me out too.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Tricky, sorry about the car.

Cars... They seem to live strictly according to Murphy's law...

I remember I had just about 10 days of sobriety or so when I scratched my car on a parking lot... I was absolutely freaking out... for two days.

Hope, nothing serious with it...

Congrats on 9 days! Keep it up!
Old 10-14-2013, 10:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Real life happens but u can do it clean!
Old 10-14-2013, 10:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I agree with deeker. You aren't being test. It's just life. S#it happens. The only thing "testing" you is your addiction. Testing your resolve. Stay strong.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

agreed, not a test, just life. cars break down, furnaces konk out IN winter, toilets back up, traffic gets snarled, meat goes bad....but the sun rises every day, regardless....it's not what happens it's how WE deal with it.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

When you're sober you see things like this as just stuff that happens. It's that addictive mind that looks for any excuse to get drunk. Oh, what a beautiful day! Better drink! Oh, what a dreary rainy day, nothing to do but stay inside and drink...
Old 10-14-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

A guy I see at meetings found his brother dead. The guy died from an OD of drugs and alcohol. The guy I know was devastated over it but didn't drink. That was a test. A car breaking down is an inconvenience which can be fixed.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

So, on Friday, I got an unexpected check in the mail for $200. The same day the car breaks down. I just got a call from the mechanic, it'll cost $200 to fix it. I can look at this two ways: I can be grateful that I happened to get a check that covers the repair or I can be angry that my free money has been sucked into my car. I think I'll be grateful...it feels better.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by john44 View Post
So, on Friday, I got an unexpected check in the mail for $200. The same day the car breaks down. I just got a call from the mechanic, it'll cost $200 to fix it. I can look at this two ways: I can be grateful that I happened to get a check that covers the repair or I can be angry that my free money has been sucked into my car. I think I'll be grateful...it feels better.
That is awesome! It is my belief that these are the little miracles, NOT coincidences, that our HP gives us to assure us that we're indeed on the right path. Enjoy them.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Swashbuckler

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
Nope, no test. It's just life. We all have to deal with it. Drinking certainly won't fix your car.
Ditto every word of it.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

TR - I don't think of it as a test, I think of it as life. Now, early on in recovery? I probably would have taken it personally, like some kind of "payback" for all the wrong I've done.

I know you know my story, but even years into recovery, life happens and it's not always good. In the past 4 months I've made a trip to CA to watch my last living grandparent die and go to her funeral. I came back, went to work for two days and car died.

My awesome mechanic/friend couldn't GET to my car for various legit reasons, one being his wife had brain cancer. I get back from a family reunion, not only does my mechanic's wife die, so did another friend..one day apart. My car has become the "money pit".

Have to quit smoking (cigarettes), can't afford that stuff any more. Take on another job, which means working with clients who have alzheimers 7 days/week. I'm tired, mentally and physically...oh, and going through nicotine withdrawal.

A part of all this is consequences from my using - losing a good-paying career, and struggling for money.

Sorry for the length, but I mentioned this earlier - crack addiction gets worse and it WILL take you down. Don't let it.

Not turning to crack is frustrating and uncomfortable, but it does pass.

Turning back to crack? You're just digging a deeper hole and when you get back to wanting to quit (and you will)? You haven't solved your problems, in fact you probably made them worse because you spent money that you could use toward your car. You will probably feel shame/remorse.

It's not worth it, it really isn't.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 10-14-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Living on lifes terms is always a challenge.
Acceptance of people, places and things in
life is even a bigger challenge. There's always
gonna be something life will throw at us and
with good foundation in recovery built on
tools and knowledge to live on, there should
be no reason why we would need to pick up
poison to solve that problem.

At 23 yrs sober, I still face things in life I
don't want to accept, but I know I need to
because resentments will crop up in me
which is not good to have in recovery.

Once I learned how not to drink then I
had to learn to live on life's terms which
throws me a curve ball from time to time.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post
That is awesome! It is my belief that these are the little miracles, NOT coincidences, that our HP gives us to assure us that we're indeed on the right path. Enjoy them.
One day as I was in the throws of a fight with my girl and not handling it very well I stumbled upon an old friend . His bruised forhead caught my eye and he looked disheveled. He also smelled of alchohol. Upon asking he broke down , crying , telling me his girlfriend of 16 years , left him. I comforted him.

A chance encounter , I think not

Tr
Old 10-14-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Tr - I agree! Hang in there, sweetie, you CAN do this!! Maybe go back and read your posts from when you've gone back out.

I don't have any of those, as I was 6 months clean, but I can tell you that reading posts of others who have gone back out (including you, in the past) have given me strength to keep moving forward.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy