Notices

Becks Blue

Old 10-13-2013, 01:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Timelord

Question Becks Blue

I went for a meal last night and instead of a lemonade I decided to have a Becks Blue I have no problem drinking non-alcoholic beer and I don't have a strict no alcohol rule, it's impossible since my prescription mouthwash for my painful mouth ulcer contains a negligible amount, but reading the label I noticed it says "not more that 0.5% alcohol". Now I'm not silly I know it would take a lot of bottles to even get me fuzzy and there's probably a lot more in my food cupboards that has more alcohol but it got me thinking is this a UK legal requirement?

I must stress that it wasn't kindling and I have had no abnormal cravings from drinking NA beer since I stopped drinking. Just interested.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Had a couple in my early days of sobriety only out of curiosity but I found they just kept the obsession alive.

If your looking for n/a lager Bavaria is 0.0 % 100% available at most uk supermarkets.

Me personally I avoid , just don't want nothing to do with it at all ever again.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Timelord

I understand, but my downfall was whiskey and lots of it. I know if they ever brought out a NA Jack Daniels and Coke I'd run a mile from it.

That Bavaria stuff is quite nice, with lemonade....
Old 10-13-2013, 01:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I tried it many years ago when I attempted to quit drinking (and failed). My memory is that without the alcohol beer simply tasted terrible!
Old 10-13-2013, 02:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My problem with substitutes is it reinforces the idea that you need it somehow, that you somehow need to drink some form of alcohol or something that looks like it when you're out. It is almost like a trick, and something I used to do myself to try and stop myself drinking in the day! It actually didn't work that well and I would usually end up drinking a real beer. So I am naturally weary of them. I have the same problem with meat substitutes, those weird little packets of replica reformed chicken slices you get in health food shops, and vegetarian bacon... what's that all about?
Old 10-13-2013, 03:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
My problem with substitutes is it reinforces the idea that you need it somehow, that you somehow need to drink some form of alcohol or something that looks like it when you're out. It is almost like a trick, and something I used to do myself to try and stop myself drinking in the day! It actually didn't work that well and I would usually end up drinking a real beer.
An AA member just shared that she relapsed for that exact reason. Was substituting her DOC for fizzy drinks that looked and tasted similar. Lost years of sobriety as a result.