Notices

Did you give up anything else when you quit?

Old 10-12-2013, 04:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I added running, but I've been trying to reduce my sugar consumption for months and months. As addiction can relocate to other areas of our lives (for some of us), I've been trying to be cognizant of other activities in which overconsumption is an issue. I know of other alcoholics who also quit smoking at the same time. Halloween candy is my Achilles' heel right now!
Old 10-12-2013, 04:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Booze seemed a big enough item to me!

I did however start to eat more healthily, so I 'gave up' eating junk most evenings - potato crisps (chips) and the like, which I tended to chomp on. It didn't feel like I was giving up anything though.

Sadly still eating too much chocolate which I started on as soon as the booze had left my system!
Old 10-12-2013, 05:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Like you Chuck, I started running. Initially as a way to keep busy, but now it has become my daily meditation.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Cigarettes. Though giving up staying up late was the single most significant change I made in my entire life. I'm asleep by 10pm every night. You can't regret last night when there isn't a last night.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My body was in enough stress trying to withdraw from alcohol let alone other "vises." I took an easy does it but do it approach, a few years later I abruptly stopped smoking, a 3 pack a day vice. I'm still trying to keep my mouth shut. BE WELL
Old 10-12-2013, 05:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

smokes - I was not a heavy smoker but I struggled quitting them in the past. I have found relative ease quitting them now but have found the booze to be much harder than I thought (toughest thing I have ever done actually).
Old 10-12-2013, 05:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ornithology, I also find that running sucks the stress out of my daily life. Not to be dramatic, but I'd almost say that it saved my life. My running group meets early in the morning, so it's always a reminder that I can't (or shouldn't) drink the night before. My mind is busy while I run, and I'm so calm afterwards.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm impressed with all of you who also quit smoking. I've heard that's very difficult, so you're 2 for 2!
Old 10-12-2013, 05:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i gave up hating myself.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by happyhour View Post
i gave up hating myself.
I'll bet all of us could benefit from that. Good for you--I'm still learning how to do that.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When I first stopped drinking the only things I gave up were the people, places and things I associated with drinking.

As time went on, I quit other things, but it was a slow process for me. Also started excercising reguarly, running and weight training... but I mix my cardio up now. Running, at a certain point was starting to destroy my knees and ankles. Learned a few things regarding that though. First, that proper footwear (even when NOT running) is absolutely essential. Went to a great store in my neighborhood where they spent about an hour finding the perfect sneakers for me. Also found, sort of by accident, that peanuts wreaked havok on my joints. My pain vanished for a while once and I had no idea why. During that time I had stopped eating peanuts (was on a cashew butter kick), happened to read an article about peanuts and joint pain, and thought, "hmmm... ?" I started to eat peanuts again to test it, and the pain came back. Stopped, and it left. I did this 3 or 4 more times, and now I don't go anywhere near peanuts. I have no other food allergies, and this seemed weird to me, but it is what it is. I'm not in pain, and I can run.

As for other things I stopped:

At 5 years my 2 1/2-3 pack of cigarettes a day ended. I believe that was the toughest of any of my habits to stop.
At around 6 or 7 years I quit eating processed sugar completely. I'm not militant about it anymore, but I eat about as much in a month that most people eat in a day.
At around 10 years meat went out the window.
At around 16 years I stopped chasing women. Committed to one, and she became my wonderful wife.

And I'm happier now than I've ever been. Go figure. Maybe because there's nothing much left to give up. Oh yeah... except internet forums... I should be writing music, not typing here. But I'll get there eventually. Will probaby be vegan one day too, but I'm takin my time.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

A boyfriend. I'd get a month or two sober then relapse. Been sober since we broke up eight months ago.

Sugar is tough! Sugar cravings do ease with time. Cigarettes on the other hand...
Old 10-12-2013, 06:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Those ease too, thankfully.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I was craving sugar a lot when I initially stopped drinking, though I normally eat very little--no doubt due to the way alcohol metabolizes. My solution was to buy a bulk bag of organic turkish figs, which were sweet but also had lots of minerals and fiber I had been lacking. I consumed those and gradually tapered off. When they were gone I didn't buy more. I'm just coming off a relapse and bought another five pound bag and have been eating them to avoid processed sugar. I've got a pound left and am eating them less and less as the cravings abate--getting to 30 days now so things are normalizing. This has worked very well--finite amount and pretty healthy.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I gave up self loathing, hangovers, and anhedonia.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I kind of did the opposite. I spent the entire summer changing my eating habits, started exercising regularly, lost weight, stopped drinking Diet Coke (which was a biggie for me), stopped eating red meat, started taking vitamins and other natural supplements. . . . I cut down my drinking to just the weekends over the summer. When I started feeling and looking better from all of the other changes I had made, it made quitting drinking seem possible to me because I had proven to myself I could do other difficult things. It also made quitting drinking make more logical sense to me. (I no longer put poisonous chemical Diet Coke into my body, but alcohol converting to ethanol is okay?!?)
Old 10-12-2013, 06:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
I am in the process of giving up processes sugar. By being "in the process" I mean that I don't eat this any more, but still fight cravings and think that "it would be nice to have a chocolate cake".

But I had the same thoughts about wine, and now they are gone. Hope the same will be with sugar.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I gave up all drugs. I had a weakness for hallucinogens. In retrospect I really only took them so I could drink more.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Idiot!

I gave up urinating in my sleep.

It was one of my favourite hobbies - I did it most nights.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

no not right away

but

I seen a few get sober and give up a lot of other things also

such as coffee, cigarettes etc etc

usually treatment centers want us to concentrate

on the drink or drug only (that's usually plenty to work on)

many drinkers when they enter treatment learn that

they are border line diabetic

booze can turn to sugar and

mess up ones pancreas with prolonged use

Mountainman

You probably don’t pay much attention to your pancreas. But that small, tadpole-shaped organ behind your stomach and below your ribcage is pretty important.

It produces two essential substances: digestive juices which your intestines use to break down food, and hormones that are involved in digestion, such as insulin, which regulates your blood sugar levels.

Pancreatitis is when your pancreas becomes inflamed and its cells are damaged. Heavy drinking can cause pancreatitis.