Notices

day one again

Old 10-11-2013, 03:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day one again

Need support.or comfort or something. I was doing so well. I'm ruining my own life again. So disappointed in myself.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

What was always told to me was: forgive yourself, learn from it, and move forward again.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ok, you slipped up. Now get back up, dust yourself off and get on with being sober again. Really, the alternative doesn't sound too good or you wouldn't be here. As I get more time sober, I realize just how little good alcohol did me. It's MUCH better being sober!
Old 10-11-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am newly sober as well, so please don't feel alone. Do you have any plans in place to stay sober this time? What triggered your drinking again? I've noticed this time that I am looking at past choices that lead me back to drinking. Doing this has helped keep me sober.

Have a great rest of your weekend.

DNVR
Old 10-11-2013, 03:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
instant

Beating yourself up never helped me. I usually "relapsed" by making a decision to drink when i felt better, was stressed and had a f&&k it moment, or thought i could control it. In time i started to learn how to get out of my own way.

Staying on SR when i am cruising has also helped remind me i need to keep my wits about me.

have a good look at how you got back into it
Old 10-11-2013, 03:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Don't give up giving up, Animalnurse. You'll soon build up the days again

Isn't there a saying that 'he who never made a mistake never made anything'? Or something like that, anyway!

Well done for getting right back on it!
Old 10-11-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Learn and move on. Choose sobriety for today. Take care of yourself physically and mentally. Glad you are posting
Old 10-11-2013, 04:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I had to try many times animalnurse. I don't know why I kept insisting I could have a few now and then. I knew every time I touched it I went down the same miserable path. Let's give this another shot. We know you want a better life, and you can do this.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Try AA. It works if you work it.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

actually pretty simple - start new again

Originally Posted by animalnurse9 View Post
Need support.or comfort or something. I was doing so well. I'm ruining my own life again. So disappointed in myself.
sometimes (I just don't know why)

it takes one or more of these

before we become serious

actually pretty simple - start new again

God gives some of us many chances

others next to none

grateful for all the chances that I've been given

but - no wish to play with fire again

Mountainman
Old 10-11-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

The best thing to do is to learn from what happened.

Be kind to yourself and move on.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I tried to quit many times before the one that finally worked. As long as you get back on the horse you can keep riding and moving forward. Never give up and you will never really fail.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
from the in to the outside

I can relate. I'm struggling to find my way. It's my own fault. It hurts. I hope that you will be okay.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Jules

I don't know how long you've been trying to get sober for but for me it took several years. I tried different things, journaling, AA, books, exercise etc. Eventually it started to stick but not all at once. The time in between my "episodes" would get longer and longer but every time I made the choice to drink I would get tore up and feel like total ****. So I would journal that to, what led up to it, the repercussions etc.

Eventually I came to accept that there was never really a time when I want just one or two, I always just want a ton, I wanted oblivion, to not feel pain or stress or whatever I was feeling. I don't drink like the normies, I "use" alcohol for completely different reasons and it has been scary and disgusting and a hard habit to break but I've managed to string together 180 days.

Its a sickness but when I was drinking that misery and self-hate was just too much. We can be healthy and whole. Alcohol just takes so much and only gives misery in return.

You can do this. It was a hard lesson to learn and it was the hardest thing to admit that I'm an alcoholic. I can hate it all I want but I am what I am.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good to see you back here, Animalnurse! Keep coming back, that is how you do it!
and you can do it. people do, all the time.
big hugs, and don't waste too much time being down on yourself. As the old song goes.. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again!

chicory
Old 10-11-2013, 06:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Old 10-11-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think most of us here have had multiple day one's. Don't beat yourself up, just try to stay sober for one day, today. Then tomorrow when you get up, try to stay sober for one more day. Repeat daily.

Are you trying to quit drinking all by yourself? If so, you are relying on the advice of a drunk.

It took me awhile to figure out that I didn't give myself very good advice when it came to drinking.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your support and advice. I haven't tried journaling, I'll try that.its hard cos I can't concentrate. I didn't know till I read a thread on here that alcohol cancels out any medication for depression. So no wonder I'm feeling even worse. How the hell did I not know that? I wish I was normal and could drink without being an idiot. I know that can't be, bit that's one thing I'm really struggling with at the moment.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I wish I was normal and could drink without being an idiot.
But we are not normal, we are alcoholics. This is the key to recovery, once you accept that it is what it is, that you can never drink safely again and be ok with that then you will start recovering and stop slipping. Until then, it will be an uphill battle no matter what recovery method or tools you use.
And yes, alcohol not only negates the medications but it is also a depressant. Expect to feel really anxious and down for the first few weeks knowing that it will get better once you are more sober and your meds kick in.

Good luck
Old 10-11-2013, 08:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Your right I need to accept that, I want to. My mum says its like being allergic to peanuts. She says, you wouldn't eat them knowing what happens would u? But I'm not addicted to peanuts :-\