Notices

hey everyone

Old 10-11-2013, 12:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hey everyone

hi first of all english is not my first language, german is so sorry if i make some mistakes.
well honestly i am not really sure how to start this but i mainly signed up coz i lately have been finding myself in a place where i wanna be sober so bad but at the same time i have been scared of it? for one scared of the unknown but on the other hand also reallyscared of failing because in the past when i tried to quit the maximum amount of days i was ever able to stay away were 8 days because in the past i always ended up telling myself my problem isn't even that bad that i am not actually an alcoholic just for me to find myself thrown back at step 0 the next morning. and i don't want this to happen anymore i really want this to be my last day 1. and i also hope that this scared feeling i have will leave over time or at least become smaller.

well however nice to meet you (:
Old 10-11-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! I honor and respect your courage in signing up and posting! Bravo!!

Many times the devil we know is better (in our minds) than the devil we don't.

You are in a normal place for people like us. I too was once too afraid to remain the same, yet terrified to move forward into recovery. AA helped a lot with that. I found acceptance, found out I wasn't alone and began to build my recovery.... best of everything to you!
Old 10-11-2013, 12:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Kain!

Your English is better than my German.

It doesn't matter if you are an alcoholic or not. If drinking is messing up your life you might want to do something about it.

It is scary to think about not drinking ever again. That is why many just think about not drinking for the next 24 hrs. And then they make the same decision the next day.

Why don't you pick some arbitrary time to stay sober, say 30 days, and see how you feel then?

I'll let others tell you about all the amazing programs that are out there to help you. I like posting her when I feel a little blue.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, kian. The good people here have been a wonderful source of support and information, especially during the early days of my sobriety. I hope you will read the forums and post often. Good luck. I am glad you are here with us.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 575 View Post
Welcome! I honor and respect your courage in signing up and posting! Bravo!!

Many times the devil we know is better (in our minds) than the devil we don't.

You are in a normal place for people like us. I too was once too afraid to remain the same, yet terrified to move forward into recovery. AA helped a lot with that. I found acceptance, found out I wasn't alone and began to build my recovery.... best of everything to you!
hi thank you and i agree with kmowing you are not alone being a really helpful aspect. honestly in the past i wanted to be able to stay away by myself which well didn't really work out for me.... even though some other people were eventually able to achieve that not everyone is some other people. AA is definitely something i consider doing.

Originally Posted by ru12 View Post
Hi Kain!

Your English is better than my German.

It doesn't matter if you are an alcoholic or not. If drinking is messing up your life you might want to do something about it.

It is scary to think about not drinking ever again. That is why many just think about not drinking for the next 24 hrs. And then they make the same decision the next day.

Why don't you pick some arbitrary time to stay sober, say 30 days, and see how you feel then?

I'll let others tell you about all the amazing programs that are out there to help you. I like posting her when I feel a little blue.
well i assume you didn't have to study german for about 7 years in school then
thank you for you comment and advice as well i do think that it actually might take pressure of my shoulders if i set goals that are achieved at a certain date like 1 month for example and be proud of that but also let it be like a motivation i think? while 'forever' never ends although i do want that to be the goal in the long shot
Old 10-11-2013, 01:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Kian!

Glad you joined the site. I too am sick of having so many day 1's. Today is now my day 2 and I am scared b/c it is the weekend and b/c lately after 2 days I tell myself the same thing "well my problem isn't that bad" and then I start to drink again and I feel horrible. You may not be an alcoholic but like someone else said, if you think alcohol is affecting your life in a negative way then why not try to give it up for a little bit and see how you feel? I'm setting small term goals....even smaller then "I won't drink for the day" I have moments where I tell myself "just get through the next hour"
This is a great place to get non-judgemental support. Glad you joined!
Old 10-11-2013, 01:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kian View Post
hi first of all english is not my first language, german is so sorry if i make some mistakes.
well honestly i am not really sure how to start this but i mainly signed up coz i lately have been finding myself in a place where i wanna be sober so bad but at the same time i have been scared of it? for one scared of the unknown but on the other hand also reallyscared of failing because in the past when i tried to quit the maximum amount of days i was ever able to stay away were 8 days because in the past i always ended up telling myself my problem isn't even that bad that i am not actually an alcoholic just for me to find myself thrown back at step 0 the next morning. and i don't want this to happen anymore i really want this to be my last day 1. and i also hope that this scared feeling i have will leave over time or at least become smaller.

well however nice to meet you (:
HI Kian. Welcome. I understood you just fine.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I'm glad you found us and joined the family. You've come to a great place for support in quitting drinking.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Welcome, kian You've made a great decision in coming here
Old 10-11-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Kian, making the decision to stop drinking and get sober is scary. I think everyone here has felt that way. Sobriety is worth it though. Taking it one day at a time and not thinking too far ahead helped me get and stay sober for over a year now. You will find lots of support here. Glad you have joined us.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RightLAine View Post
Hi Kian!

Glad you joined the site. I too am sick of having so many day 1's. Today is now my day 2 and I am scared b/c it is the weekend and b/c lately after 2 days I tell myself the same thing "well my problem isn't that bad" and then I start to drink again and I feel horrible. You may not be an alcoholic but like someone else said, if you think alcohol is affecting your life in a negative way then why not try to give it up for a little bit and see how you feel? I'm setting small term goals....even smaller then "I won't drink for the day" I have moments where I tell myself "just get through the next hour"
This is a great place to get non-judgemental support. Glad you joined!
i can relate to this very well and i agree with the weekend being the hardest i hope you achieve your goals rightlaine and can cross the two day barrier.
i start to see why taking smaller steps and wait how it goes seems to be a smarter option especially now.

Originally Posted by Uninvited View Post
HI Kian. Welcome. I understood you just fine.
thanks and good to know

Originally Posted by firstymer View Post
Welcome to SR, kian. The good people here have been a wonderful source of support and information, especially during the early days of my sobriety. I hope you will read the forums and post often. Good luck. I am glad you are here with us.
thanks and so far people have indeed been nothing but nice and helpful to me

ok somehow i can only quote three ppl at once

@least @headlump thank you and i am glad to be here

@hayley86 hey first of all congrats for making it to over a year and even though i don't want other people to be in a bad place it feels somehow good to know that there are people that can relate to those feelings to be honest