Notices

Major mood changes

Old 10-11-2013, 06:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Major mood changes

So I'm on day 5 today after a 3 month relapse.... I had 10 months then went back out in July ( stupid mistake).... And the last month, my hangovers were terrrrrrrible...... I would binge on the weekends and then Monday-Thursday I would feel like there's no hope, I MUST need rehab... I've never felt this bad after drinking before.... Usually it goes away and I feel great on Thursday and Friday so I start drinking again for the weekend.... But today is Friday and I feel like s**t still. I feel like every 15 minutes my thoughts change from " do I need to go to the hospital? Am I really sicker than I thought " back to " you will be fine, it's just your brain readjusting itself, just give it time"..... I also have OCD and the fear of being locked up in an institution is one of my main obsessive thoughts I guess..... But does anybody remember their first week? Do the crazy highs and crazy lows sound familiar to anybody? When I got sober the first time about 14 months ago , I don't remember it being this extreme in the beginning.... But then again I was in a detox facility.....
Old 10-11-2013, 07:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've not experienced what you're describing, Ryan, but it sounds painful and scary. My thoughts are with you.

At the very least, decide now not to drink this weekend--that will contribute to your peace of mind.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Ryan.

Welcome to SR and welcome back to sobriety.

Mood swings are quite harsh in early sobriety, especially during the first week. At least it was the case for me. I don't believe you would be locked up in a mental institution because of that, and maybe it won't hurt to consult a doc since you are detoxing on your own now.

I do remember my mood changes, and I also do remember that they shall eventually pass.

Take care of yourself. Don't give up. Keep posting.

Best luck to you.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks midnight....

The whole being locked up thing is just part if my OCD.... It's a real common obsession that OCD ppl have ( fear of going crazy blah blah blah ) and obviously alcohol just intensifies them.... But yea, the mood swings are what make me go back to drinking on the weekends... I'm up for 20 minutes then I tell myself it won't last and than that makes me depressed and so on..... Up and down ... But glad I found SR....

I would like to hear anybody else's story or if they have gone through something similar!