Notices

Rebound Insomnia and feeling hopeless

Old 10-11-2013, 02:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hopeful

Unhappy Rebound Insomnia and feeling hopeless

Well, I am on day 18 after going cold turkey off of opiate pain killers but the rebound insomnia has a strong hold on me and I am feeling like there is no end in sight God does this ever get better? I just want my life back. This is so hard to do and living alone and being alone day to day makes things even harder. If I would have known 2 years ago that I would be in this position now from these evil pills I never would have started them in the first place. This is just horrible, the not sleeping part. I lay in bed night after night with my eyes closed just hoping to fall asleep but it just doesn't happen. When does this stop? I am trying to get through this I really am knowing that everyday is a new day and it has to be getting better but I am just feeling hopeless right now.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not angry just direct

Hey suscl61,

First off well done on day 18. Day 6 for me.

I know what you mean about the insomnia. I don't know if it'll work for you but I bought some natural sleeping pills with valerian root/hops/motherwart in them and washed down with some warm milk before bed seems to helping quite a bit.

The brand names I'm using are 'Quiet life' or 'Kalms'. Both seem equally good.

Having lived with insomnia for 20yrs before finally getting rid of it I can understand where the hopelessness is coming from (the lack of sleep wears us down mentally). Even though it wears us down there are ways to deal with it and rebuild our hope for a better time. Early morning aerobics are great for winding us down 8hrs later before bed so if you can manage that it'll also help promote natural sleep.

I feel for you, and there is light at the end of the tunnel. Often the anxiety of not sleeping can have the effect of keeping us awake so if you can, try to relax about it and look ahead. There will be a time when you get a good nights sleep. Believe in it.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hopeful

Thank you Regretter...I am taking melatonin which I started last night but I was told it takes a little while to get into your system before it starts working. I have never heard of Quiet Life or Kalms and not sure if I can get it here in the states but I will look for it.

You are so right about insomnia wearing us down because I am about as down as I can get right now and my anxiety goes up and down throughout the day. I know I should find other activities to keep my mind occupied but I just don't have the motivation to do anything right now and am looking for a quick fix that I know will never come. I will continue on day by day and try and take things as they come and hope and pray that this will all be over soon.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not angry just direct

Oh, I know exactly what you mean, suscl. I've worn the t shirt for a long time. If you can find anything with Valerian root it tends to work wonders for most people. Health food shops practically always sell it in one form or another.

There IS hope and there WILL be an end. Have faith in sleep it really helps.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I also suffer from insomnia at times. Melatonin helps, but I've found that after a few days of taking it I become chronically fatigued. I also use valerian cream right before I lie down. Best of luck.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sus, congratulations on 18 days. I don't know about opiates but it took a good few weeks for my insomnia to get better when i stopped drinking alcohol. After a while i got in a good sleep pattern and i felt much better in general. I also had to tire myself out with exercise when i first stopped drinking. That was the only way i slept well. Hope things improve soon.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hopeful

I just started the melatonin last night so I guess I will have to wait and see how it works for me. I have heard that it can cause fatigue in some people where some people don't mind it at all. I have also heard of the valerian root but never tried it...maybe a trip to the health food store is a good idea.

Thanks hayley....these days I have no motivation to do any kind of exercise because my mind just isn't into it and I have to force myself to do things around here. It is raining here and will be for the next couple days so going outside for a walk is not an option. I will spend my day today doing laundry and cleaning up around here to keep my mind occupied for a little while anyway.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Not angry just direct

Laundry and cleaning up? Oh god no.. give me a rainy walk over that any day lol

Washing up crockery was created by the devil I'm certain of it
Old 10-11-2013, 04:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sorry you're still not sleeping. I remember that was one of the worst things when I quit. You mentioned you aren't a reader, but what about getting some books on tape / dvd from your local library, or old movies from there to watch? Something to occupy your mind instead of just lying in the dark. I watched lots of old films and even sitcom reruns. For 7.99 per month you can get unlimited streaming movies from Netflix. They have many things besides movies--also stuff on mediation, yoga, travel, etc. so even one month might help you through the worst if your internet allotment is large. Just a thought.

Another thing you might try is putting on some rubber boots and a raincoat and go take a walk anyway. It's really fun to splash around just like you were a kid. I jump in puddles, stand under leaky gutters, and have a blast running around in the elements. Then I take a hot shower, make some cocoa and get in bed. It feels so good to be in your house and warm and comfortable. Elevates my gratitude and connects me back to nature a little. Don't give up--sleep is coming
Old 10-11-2013, 04:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hopeful

I do have netflix so yes, I will watch that for sure because there is a show on there I do love to watch and can't get it with my basic cable. I do spend a lot of time on the internet too. I now find myself coming back here more and more since I joined yesterday because you all have been so nice in offering moral support and a lot of good advice to keep me going through this struggle. Thanks for all your support as I soldier on
Old 10-11-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I use the valerian cream because of the skin absorption vs liver. Done enough damage there already and I've read that valerian can be hard on that organ.