Update: I Am Third

Old 10-10-2013, 08:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Update: I Am Third

Well I have not been on here for awhile. Partially due to my physical inability and partially due to not wanting to deal with reality.

I am still separated from AH. I have been through so much with my cancer. I finished last chemo in end of September. I had my PT Scan and CT scan earlier this week. I have a dr appt tomorrow at 8am to let me know if my cancer is in remission or if I am going to have to do another series of treatment.

I have heavily been relying on my higher power since I have not been posting here. My faith has helped me tremendously. However, tonight I need support. Tonight I need people and people who can help me deal with alcoholic behavior.

My separated AH has been helpful with logistics and caring for the children...he has always done that. But what hurts me tonight is that he said he wanted to be present at my dr appt tomorrow and now that we are at night before, he said tomorrow is no big deal and Im just being deama and he doesnt need to go. He asked me to go! I dont get it!!! Why am I letting him get to me tonight? Ive been not angry for months. Why now am I engaging? Of course tomorrow is important. I have been fighting cancer for almost a year now and he is just minimizing it. My heart hurts so much tonight....
Old 10-10-2013, 08:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sorry, iamthird. He is unreliable. That's the fact of the matter. You can't count on him to be steady. I hope your appointment goes well/
Old 10-10-2013, 08:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hugs, iamthird! I'm so glad to see you back here and with such great news of your possible remission! That's huge, and it's no wonder you are feeling vulnerable right now. Please, do ignore the quacking A behind the curtain. Hand him over to your HP because there is nothing you can do to change him, and there's no comprehending those extreme mood swings. Can you snuggle in bed with your kids tonight, and maybe watch a movie? We're here with you too, of course.

Welcome back!

Wishing you peace,
Fathom
Old 10-10-2013, 09:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think that he may be afraid, and trying to minimize and handle his fear by downplaying the doctor's visit.

I wouldn't take this personally. He doesn't have a lot of emotional resources or coping strategies, and as the time of the appointment comes close, it may be overwhelming to him so he backs out to avoid it. This behavior is about him, not you. I think that, in taking care of your children and helping with the logistics and unemotional parts of your illness, he may have been doing all that he can do.

It is not enough, but it is something, and he did show up enough to help. You can't get bread from a hardware store, but in this case, he did produce what he could, maybe not enough to nourish, but it was and is something.

I am so glad to hear from you; I have been thinking of you often, and my prayers have been and are with you. Let us know how you are doing. It's funny, we here on SoberRecovery care so much for you, but we can't be present in person, just in spirit. And your AH is the opposite, he can't seem to be present emotionally or spiritually, but he has been there in the logistic rational ways that you've needed help.

May God be with you and with your spirit,

ShootingStar1
Old 10-10-2013, 09:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Half a dozen reasons he ma be acting the wa he is.

None of them reflect upon how you make him feel. None reflect upon the perception of seriousness of your illness and struggle.

He is the one with the problems.

If possible, bring a friend along.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

(((iamthird)))...I'll be praying for positive news tomorrow at your appointment, and look forward to your update.

I'm with ShootingStar on this...his reaction is not about you, rather it is his inability to process his emotions on this. Breathe and take care of you.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good to hear from you! My initial thought is the same as others...he's afraid of what the news may be and needed to downplay his need to be there. He just doesn't have the emotional maturity for this stuff, you already know that. Try not to take it personally, it's his problem. Sounds like he has tried to help out in some fashion, which you needed.

Good Luck tomorrow! As you sit in that Dr's office, visualize all of us sitting there with you in spirit.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Iamthird,

Imagine that we (hundreds and even thousands of us) are with you at that dr. appt. tomorrow... we care about you and are dependable and steady.

Your XA is not. Don't let him set you up only to let you down over and over... detach, disentangle your lives as much as possible and go no contact about personal issues. We can't get entirely well until they no longer have the power to harm us emotionally by their cruel acts.

You are in my prayers....
Old 10-11-2013, 04:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm sending up prayers for your appointment today - that you will receive some great news from your doctor!!
Old 10-11-2013, 06:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's so good to see your name on the postings today, iamthird! I was just thinking about you yesterday and hoping you were doing all right.

I agree with the above, take a friend with you if anyone is available, and if no one can go on short notice, remember that your guardian angel will be with you. Your faith has deepened profoundly through your ordeals, your spiritual connection to all that is divine is strong. And as hopeworks said, too, the spiritual support of all here will also be with you.

I am sorry your AH has consistently abandoned you in your hour of greatest need over the last year. He steps up occasionally but all too often he pushes away and turns away. It has been a very painful awakening for you, realizing how immature and callous he is. Alcoholics are consistently disappointing. They turn and run as a way of life. We are shocked again and again, and eventually we just give up counting on them.

He does not define you, what he does does not define you. You are beautiful and courageous, so hold your head up and know that.

We will all send prayers to you today.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My cancer is in remission!!
Old 10-11-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

That is excellent news! Take this new lease on life and move forward. Don't let your AH drag you down. Go celebrate!
Old 10-11-2013, 10:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

So very happy for you!!!!!
Old 10-11-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Great news. Treat yourself this weekend you deserve some good times.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Just can't find the words to say how very very happy I am for you!!!!!!!!!!!

ShootingStar1
Old 10-11-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
God's Kid

Awesome!
Old 10-11-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hoooraaaayyyyy!!!!!!!

Old 10-11-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Wonderful!!!!!!!
Old 10-11-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

So glad for your clean bill of health, iamthird.

You deserve to be well, happy and thriving!
Old 10-11-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I AM SO HAPPY TO HEAR! Don't think twice about your AH....always remember that they have to drink to deal with the good, bad, and in between in life, they will rarely be good support for themselves, let alone someone else! ((((HUGS))) and CHEERS - to your health!