Notices

Lifes wake up call

Old 10-10-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lifes wake up call

The last few years of my alcoholism has gone so fast, i remember when i was 14 years old. i used to say to my friends that by the time i was 25 i would quit all drugs and live a normal healthy life.I cant remember if i truly believed it or not but it seemed sensible. I was smoking weed and hash, going raving doing ecstasy, snorting cocaine. I thought i was the dogs bollocks. The funniest thing was i didnt even like alcohol bAck then. not until i was 18 did i start drinking.
Anyway when i hit 25 i was almost done with drinking so decided to quit, One thing led to another and before i knew it i was just turning 26, HOW THE HELL DID I LET A YEAR GO BY WITHOUT CHANGING MY LIFE???? Never mind i have learnt my lesson i told myself. By my next birthday i will have changed my life i promise. Well my birthday is in 30 days time and its happened again. How has time gone so fast? Ill start tomorrow. no tommorow, how about on monday? What a ******* joke , i must be crazy or this alcoholism is worse than i thought. How can you know what the problem of something is, but only decide to fix it almost2 years later?
Well my mums just recently had a health scare and its made me even more aware that i need to sort my life out. IM NOT A KID ANYMORE , IM NEARLY 27 YEARS OLD, LIFE is NOT A JOKE ANYMORE. My mum and dad are getting older ,they may not be around for as long as i want them to be. I want to make them proud of me and show them im not a loser ,because i couldnt bare to lose one of them in the state i am now. So im calling on all of you in the same boat as me to think about what you could lose out on and the regrets u may hold forever if u dont change. I have seen my life passing me by and i cant let this happen any longer. Its scary hoe much time flies. Im sorry for a bit of a depressing post but i just had to let it out. A big thankyou to everyone who replies in advance , i really do love the advice , it makes me feel like im not alone.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Getting sober at your age could save you a lot of physical, mental and legal problems. I don't know your drinking history exactly, but it sounds like continuing at your current pace may bring you decades of pain and problems.

Stopping now would ensure that you avoid the alcohol and drug related issues. And you will get to spend more quality time with your folks.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

I've been exactly where you are, Bradley!

I realized I had a problem at 21, didn't do anything about it until I was 28, and even then I did very little to change.

I didn't get sober for another two years (I just turned 30 at the end of August). I have since changed a great deal about my life so that I can remain sober.

I wish I had found SR two years ago! You are a step ahead of me! Welcome to an amazing and supportive site!
Old 10-10-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You are wise to want to quit now before things get worse, and they always get worse.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you for deciding to do what you need to do to get and stay sober.

You will find lots of support here.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

You have struggled for a while, quitting then drinking again. What are you going to do different this time to ensure you stay quit? I ask because while firm determination is great, it's not a plan.

Good luck.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Im thinking of writing out a a fixed program of what to do during each day and ask for gods help, apart from that im open for suggestions. My sister called me and said my mums health scare was a mini stroke, does anybody have any experience with this?
Old 10-10-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Would you be open to meetings? The group support is very helpful to me.

I didn't have a problem until I was 29. Hadn't even really drank until I was 20. I had the bad thinking problem long before I had a drinking problem though and I wished I could have done something sooner. I'm not old, I am 37 but I do sometimes wish I had done this at 30
Old 10-10-2013, 04:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Tamerua, u are right i really should have done something sooner, even so i thank god i can try and nip it in the bud at 27 . And yeah ur not old at 37 lol try telling an 80 year old that , lol
Old 10-10-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

You aren't alone anymore!

Old 10-10-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I wish I had even realized I had a problem at 27. You're already ahead of the game. Well done bradley26. You won't believe how good you will feel in a few months and this site is full of supportive people.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I agree with Hawkeye - I would give anything to have my young years back and experience them sober. I drank for almost 30 years. This won't be you bradley! You are never, ever alone.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You are definitely not alone!! There is SO much support here!!!
Old 10-10-2013, 08:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

My father had a mini stroke at the beginning of this year. It is always difficult and emotional when a parent experiences a health scare, but the best thing you can do for your mother is to be sober! It isn't easy when you are afraid and hurting, but you will be in a much better position to support and help her through her health issues if you are sober.

My dad has been in and out of the hospital throughout the year, but I did not get sober until last month, and I know FOR A FACT that I have been a much better, more supportive daughter in my sobriety! It really hit home when he told me how proud of me he was this month. Sending love and prayers!
Old 10-10-2013, 09:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome, Bradley! So glad to have you join the family. It's not easy to quit but it will be the very best decision you ever make in so many ways. We're here to support you in any way we can.

Welcome again and look forward to hearing more from you!!
Old 10-10-2013, 09:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have been lurking for about a month now and finally got registered. I'm grateful that you all are here.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I drank for over 30 years before I admitted I had a problem and did something about it. Consider yourself lucky that you have the insight to realize you have a problem and want to do something about it before you lose everything! I suggest trying AA. It's been a huge help to me.