Notices

Am I being a bit precious

Old 10-10-2013, 05:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am I being a bit precious

I am on day 28 and doing ok. However last night I got a bit fed up and angry because I wanted a glass of red wine ( substitute glass for bottle ! ). Then watching evening news I got even angrier with myself, my self pitying self. There are millions of people around the world without enough food to eat or fresh water to drink and here I am thinking how badly off I am because I cannot have my wine. It makes me disgusted with myself. I wonder what all those starving thirsty people would make of my terrible awful plight! Just had to get this off my chest and maybe next time I have an urge to drink I should remember how lucky I am to have this as my only problem.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good point Toffee. However, it's not you that wants the wine, it's your addiction. Your addiction doesn't care about the starving people. But that's good motivation to beat the cravings. Way to not drink
Old 10-10-2013, 06:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No half measures

I can get into a pity party so easy to. When I do I think of all the things I have I to be greatful for. You do not have to look very far to find some one with real problems
Old 10-10-2013, 06:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great post and WELL DONE on 4 weeks!!!
Old 10-10-2013, 06:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

there are huuuge problems in this world, and many of them we can do nothing about, and our own problems can seem insurmountable sometimes, so whilst its good we keep our issues in perspective, and remember people are having even more problems than us, we still need to be kind to ourselves...hugs x
Old 10-10-2013, 06:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Gratitude for what we have is a strong weapon against cravings and self-pity. It's also a good tool for mental hygiene.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

One time a friend told me that just because someone is dying of a heart attack doesn't mean that your broken toe doesn't hurt. I also read one time that if we all threw our problems in a pile in the middle, we'd all rush in and grab our own problems back.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I was thinking about this sort of thing this morning.

Helps me to remember that things are not as bad as I feel, and that I have a LOT I can work with to make a better life for myself and others. I think gratitude is more than a feeling, it's how we live.

Congrats on your sober time and thanks for sharing these thoughts, makes me feel like I got a buddy out there!
Old 10-10-2013, 09:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I could have written this post myself. It is so easy for me to slip into a pity party for poor "woe-is-me" me - it's what I would do when I'd gt drunk, black out and do something stupid. Oh poor me, how could I have hurt someone else? Completely forgetting about the others around me that I was hurting. Alcohol will do that to you - it brings out that selfish mode in us that is so unappealing and ugly. But the best part about being sober is you can put it all into perspective, and ignore those ugly thoughts and instead focus on how to make things better
Old 10-10-2013, 09:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yeah - but congrats on cleaning up your little corner of the world for 28 days.