Notices

i cant stop crying

Old 10-09-2013, 08:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

i cant stop crying

i am new to this -35 year old daughter is an alcoholic -never knew - hid it from everyone -only been drinking seriously out of control for 8 months -she is a professional person -very smart -beautiful -has a great job
husband left her 2 years ago -she hasnt dealt with the grief -the loss of her identity -her family -her best friend- father of her kids - so it has thrown her for a loop -she accepted she was in a bad place -went into detox aug 26th -stayed sober for 11 days - got accepted to rehab -there now and is having a terrible hard time dealing with the fact she will never be able to drink again -
she wants to leave this friday and just go and have a few beer - and i cant help her -she is too far away - i dont know what to do -and i cant stop crying
Old 10-09-2013, 08:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Tell her she needs to tell her counselors those feelings. That is why she is at rehab - to talk about her feelings and issues - especially if she's already making plans to go out and drink after she gets out of rehab.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi can'tstopcrying, welcome to SR. Stick around. You can get good support here. Also check out al-anon.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by pinkdog View Post
Hi can'tstopcrying, welcome to SR. Stick around. You can get good support here. Also check out al-anon.
I second this, particularly the Al-anon comment! Sending love and prayers.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cantstopcrying View Post

she wants to leave this friday and just go and have a few beer

we need to pray for her to hit a bottom

she sounds to not be there yet

a prayer to hit bottom and live through it

MB
Old 10-09-2013, 08:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome cantstopcrying.

I'm sorry for your situation but I know you'll find support and understanding here.
I think it must be the loneliest job in the world being the parents or the loved one of an addict or alcoholic - I hope you'll also check out our Family and Friends forums here too

D
Old 10-09-2013, 09:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi—welcome to SR. You certainly have come to the right place. You'll find a lot of folks on the Friends and Family forums who know exactly what you're going through. And you are going through something, too, not just your daughter. As a dad I understand that you are 100% focused on her, but you need to look out for yourself too, including getting support. You'll find plenty here, I know.

I wish your daughter were here, too. If she were, I'd tell her that I know how she feels. Sobriety seemed like this huge sacrifice. I imagined life being unbearably stressful and tedious without alcohol. But you know what? It just seemed that way because I was still in the bubble of addiction, where up is down and the problem looks like the solution. Now I realize I wasn't sacrificing anything worth keeping. This is what I was giving up: pain, secrecy, isolation, regret, obsession. Not to mention all the health problems that I avoided. It turns out this recovery business isn't about giving stuff up, it's about getting stuff back. Really good stuff, like freedom, pride, and hope. That's what I'd tell your daughter.

Good for you, reaching out. The folks here sure gave me encouragement when I needed it most.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! You'll find lots of support here. Do take a look at our friends and family forum for additional support.

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 10-10-2013, 02:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

"there now and is having a terrible hard time dealing with the fact she will never be able to drink again."

may be harsh, but that's not true and reading this:
"she wants to leave this friday and just go and have a few beer."

she can drink any time she wants to.

now onto you:
even if you were close, theres prolly nothing you could do to help. her being in rehab now tells me you haven't been able to help. she has to want help.
the best thing you can do for her and for you is to let her use the people that are in rehab to help her.
you can also help her by helping yourself and getting into some support like al anon.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You will have to love her from afar. I tried stopping a few times, until the consequences of every relapse got more and more severe. I also didn't want to face a life without alcohol and wanted 'just one more" and its never just one.
She has to find it for herself.... and want it for herself more than anything, not just a bit.
Get support for yourself..... I feel for the people who watched me try a bit and fail (of course) and sink to lower depths until I finally stopped. they were completely powerless...
I send all the support in the world your way
Old 10-10-2013, 06:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

her resolve is wavering

thanks so much for the words of your story - i think i need to understand the addict brain so i can try to make sense of a rational smart woman rationalizing her self destruction -she knows up is up but it doesnt make a difference - why is that -i was a psychiatric nurse for 40 years and although i have all the experience with mental illness -alcoholism was never considered a disease back in my time - and i have never had to deal with this addict brain thing - drinking was a way to forget the other things that were bothering you - never considered that excessive drinking is why things went south fast - what i am trying to say is i have read alot since august -i want to embrace the world my daughter has stepped into but i have never met an alcoholic and spoke to them - i am going to find some al anon groups and see if hearing their stories helps me more - prob is location - i am 60 miles outside of any major city so the access may be more difficult -do you have a good book title you can suggest for the story of a an alcolic - want as much detail as poss - thanks
Old 10-10-2013, 07:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome -- Hopefully they can move her from the contemplation stage of recovery to the action step of recovery. Al-anon would be a wonderful place for you --
Old 10-10-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Codependent No More, by Melody Beaty-
She is a recovered alcoholic, and tells her story while writing about the futility of being a codependent. It is a wonderful book, read by millions, and very very helpful. I almost feel it a Bible of sorts, and go to it when times are hard. It gives you power to deal, heal, and help in ways you can.

I too have an alcoholic adult child. That is why I am here, and I get support that keeps me sane.

hugs and good wishes,
chicory