Notices

Back to complain

Old 10-09-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back to complain

About lack of sleep coming my way lol and it's just hit me I could do some counting up of wine and vodka bottles and come up with a figure lol beats counting sheep!
Old 10-09-2013, 05:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 13unluckyforsom View Post
About lack of sleep coming my way lol and it's just hit me I could do some counting up of wine and vodka bottles and come up with a figure lol beats counting sheep!
This reminds me of how I had dozens of empty wine bottles stashed away everywhere. It must have been almost 200.

Some lack of sleep you'll be able to handle just like that. No need to complain.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Malgudy - SS - 31-Aug-2013

20 mins of sober nap beats 10 hours of drunken sleep anyday, anytime and anywhere....Look up Valerian root powder if you want some deep natural sleep. Local Indian shops have that. Indians use this powder in their sweet dishes to make them sleep in the afternoon and people often take this with milk at night to sleep like a baby. Calcium from milk and magnesium from Valerian powder is just a perfect combination to sooth the nerves... Also it's given to young kids in India... It's a great stuff... I have used it myself for the first 4 days of my sobriety...it kills anxiety instantly... And it's not a habit forming herb..
Old 10-09-2013, 05:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So did I - on top of cupboards hidden - in bags hidden - behind cereal boxes - lol the things we do hey! And at the time your thinking 'this behaviours really wrong' but you keep on dancing to the music!
Old 10-09-2013, 05:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the info if it persists I will look into getting some. It's day 2 so it's not anything I didn't expect I'm just glad to be off the hamster wheel
Old 10-09-2013, 05:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Malgudy - SS - 31-Aug-2013

Kool. In Indian Valerian powder is called ... Ganthoda Powder....just in case if you visit the shops and they don't understand Valerian powder. Glad you are off the Hamster Wheel...one day at a time... Things get so much better. I am 40 days today... Cannot tell you enough how great I feel...The key is let the body, mind and the soul do what it needs to do to detox and cleanse our system, aura...and you just go along with it...in a way it gets more interesting and you begin to enjoy the withdrawal and detox...I wish you all the best...
Old 10-09-2013, 05:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey 13, glad to see you back and on day 2. I really don't get the empty bottle thing. I never did that.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Btw, I heard of a cool trick against insomnia on the Dr. Oz show. It really works!

When you're in bed, count backwards from 300 in steps of 7. So it's like, 300... 293... 286... 279...

When I heard of it I thought 300 wouldn't be a high enough number to count back from. When I tried it I never reached 200 before I fell into a deep sleep.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Malgudy View Post
20 mins of sober nap beats 10 hours of drunken sleep anyday, anytime and anywhere....Look up Valerian root powder if you want some deep natural sleep. Local Indian shops have that. Indians use this powder in their sweet dishes to make them sleep in the afternoon and people often take this with milk at night to sleep like a baby. Calcium from milk and magnesium from Valerian powder is just a perfect combination to sooth the nerves... Also it's given to young kids in India... It's a great stuff... I have used it myself for the first 4 days of my sobriety...it kills anxiety instantly... And it's not a habit forming herb..
How much of the powder do you put in the milk?

Hi 13 x x
Old 10-09-2013, 06:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am really enjoying lying in bed and listening to a book. It puts me to sleep. Try it!
Old 10-09-2013, 06:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Melatonin should be available to you from your chemist/drugstore/health supplement store. It worked for me, and I like the idea that melatonin is something your body already makes for you around pajama time.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I asked my Dr. for something to help sleep last year...there are meds you can take that really help and they are not addictive like some sleeping pills (he's aware that I am a recovering alcoholic). I take melatonin along with it..it is safe. I've tried natural sleep supplements before and they just didn't seem to help me, but I know a lot of people that they do seem to help.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have used exercise later in the evening to help with sleep. It helps in two ways its a positive way to end the day instead of with a bottle or at a bar with a bottle. Also, and more important it helps me crash immediately once I hit the pillow. For some, it might amp you up to much to sleep but for me it has been a god send.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I take a melatonin "plus" supplement most nights (from Schiff, it has melatonin, valerian, GABA, chamomile, and I'm probably forgetting something, they have it at Costco so it's pretty inexpensive). It worked well when I had sleep disorder from withdrawal, so well that I still take it regularly. Half hour after I take it I just feel like sleeping.

Your mileage may vary.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

On this sleep thread, I remember something really sickening. In the height of my drinking days, I started complaining about waking up in the middle of the night. My friend, who is a nurse, told me just to take a Benadryl. So, that (with my regular regimen of Ibuprofen that gave me ulcers) kept me on my heavy drinking pattern for several more years, because I figured I had the sleep thing kicked. Ugh.

Now that I am not drinking I take a natural supplement to help with sleep and diminishing the overly powerful nightmares. Dollar Tree sells Relax & Sleep which is valerian, melatonin, and chamomile. It smells really stinky, but it is natural, cheap and it works. The other is Sleep & Beauty (can be bought at CVS or Walgreens). It has Cynatine, French Keratin, Melatonin and bunch of B vitamins. This second routine has proven to be much more effective my for sleep and my health!!!
Old 10-09-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've used melatonin. Short term it helps. But I took it for a very long time. And I started to sleep MUCH better after I quit.

If sleep remains an issue, see a doc. Don't start experimenting with over the counter stuff. And don't take melatonin unless your doc prescribes it. Mine did. Then the prescription ran out and I bought it from the pharmacy. And that was the mistake.

Again, if sleeping remains an issue, only a medical professional can really help you.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone I shall go tomorrow and buy something for bedtime - it's quarter to 3 in the morning here and I'm tired but I feel annoyed/agitated so I keep kicking my legs about lol just remembering too much coffee as well today. Forgot about these wee daft things like having hot chocolate instead of coffee later in the day. Oh well lesson re-learned.

I'm sure I've saw valerian in my local chemist so that will also get me out for a walk.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My doc has me on 25mg of promethazine three times a day for anxiety/sleeping but I've always been a crappy sleeper. So she said the chances are that I always would be. And they won't prescribe benzos long term - she only ever gives me a weeks relief here and there.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 13unluckyforsom View Post
My doc has me on 25mg of promethazine three times a day for anxiety/sleeping but I've always been a crappy sleeper. So she said the chances are that I always would be. And they won't prescribe benzos long term - she only ever gives me a weeks relief here and there.
Try CBT, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

And imo you have a crappy doc.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:20 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by james872 View Post
Try CBT, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. And imo you have a crappy doc.
Lol.. What makes you say that James? I will look up CBT for sleep issues thanks