Notices

What to expect from your first AA meeting?

Old 10-09-2013, 06:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What to expect from your first AA meeting?

In my last post, I addressed my fear of attending AA meetings. Mostly because I have not admitted my addiction outside of my family and therapist. I'm known in my community as a professional, and am terrified of others finding out about my drinking. But I feel I may finally be ready for this additional support. I've found a nearby meeting that meets tomorrow, it's an Open Discussion meeting. What should I expect from this meeting? I really would prefer to listen and not share just yet. How did you all overcome your fears of attending your first meeting?
Old 10-09-2013, 07:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i went to my first meeting a week ago. i was terrified and ashamed.

i walked out at the end of the meeting with such a huge feeling of relief. there are others like us. some are sober, others are getting there - what we have in common is the physical addiction and the mental obsession with alcohol.

tonight is my 9th meeting in 7 days. there is no requirement to speak until you are ready, should that happen for you. i have a list of numbers in my phone under 'AA' that people have offered me with no expectation of anything in return.

i had avoided AA for years.

today i am grateful for the friendship and fellowship i have already experienced. i am sober today, and that's all i need expect from myself.

we don't have to do this any more. i hope you find the relief that i am feeling. i'm not preaching AA but i am incredibly grateful that it has 'clicked' for me.

ask yourself honestly - what do you have to lose by trying it?
Old 10-09-2013, 07:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you, ippochick. Your question, "ask yourself honestly - what do you have to lose by trying it?" is where I think I've finally come to the decision that I'm ready. I have nothing to lose, but I have everything to gain. I've realized how much I depend on the support through SR, and I can only imagine how much more of an impact AA meetings can have on my sobriety. Thank you for sharing!
Old 10-09-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

let us know how you get on. i'll be thinking of you.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There is no need to share, but at least listen to others sharing that have recovered from the drinking and how they did it.

When the meeting finishes, help put the chairs away if others are doing it to.

Go to more meetings and find one that you feel right with and consider making it your regular once a week home group.

Buy the book named, "Alcoholics Anonymous", read the chapter titled, "The Doctors Opinion" and underline what makes sense to you.
Ask questions at your next meeting the things that don't yet make sense.

Eventually it will make sense if you are a real alcoholic as described on page 21 of that book.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No half measures

Expect some of the nicest friendliest most understanding people you will ever meet.

Expect people that will understand what it is like to be you.

Expect healthy happy people who have a solution.

Expect people that only want one thing and that is your sobriety

Expect people from all walks of life. Doctors lawyers teachers nurses rich poor educated uneducated bankers factory workers college students bikers gay straight black white old young male female. Alcoholism is the great equalizer because we all suffer from exactly the same problem.

The only suggestion I would make is to identify yourself as someone who has never been to an AA meeting when asked.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Piglet! I was scared and ashamed and feared of being judged by others. I went to a Parent or friends of addicts, when I went in, I noticed all the others or most of the others were feeling just as bad as myself. I didn't plan on talking at all, but as the meeting went on I felt compelled to share and talk. They always said thank you for sharing and never criticized me. Now I look forward to attending these meetings. Yes, my community did judge me and my ADs, but the parents meeting or NAanon never did. Now I look forward to these helpful meetings. Take care? TF