Psychodinamic or existential psychoterapy - which to choose?

Old 10-09-2013, 03:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Psychodinamic or existential psychoterapy - which to choose?

I currently live in a small town where there are only a couple of qualified psychotherapists. One of them practices psychodynamic therapy and the other the existential. I read that these approaches are quite different. I'm wondering which would be better to deal with ACOA stuff?
Old 10-09-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jur123 View Post
... I read that these approaches are quite different. I'm wondering which would be better to deal with ACOA stuff?
It doesn't work that way. What makes therapy useful is only two issues:

- The individual therapist's experience and education with "family dysfunction" in general, and PTSD/ACoA in particular.

- The "connection" and trust that the therapists earns as a result of time spent with you.

The general suggestion is to try them both. Usually they will give the first session free, so you can get to know them. Pick the one that you feel most comfortable with, and then every 4 sessions re-assess and decide if you want to continue or switch.

It's not much different than picking a dentist, or a car mechanic. You have to try them out first, and then keep re-evaluating because at some point your car/teeth will be completely fixed.

Mike