Notices

My (ex) partner is going to stop drinking with me!

Old 10-08-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My (ex) partner is going to stop drinking with me!

This morning, my (ex) partner was experiencing a headache and a significant panic attack. I knew they had been drinking because I could smell it on their breath when they woke me up needing comfort.

Later, I saw near their bed that they had bought a bottle of cheap vodka early in the morning, and half was gone. I suggested that the pain they were feeling, and the horrible depressed state they were in, were in part due to the alcohol. They agreed, immediately handed me the bottle and said "Please pour this down the drain."

I did without hesitation. Not even a second thought.

They no longer want to drink, and wants to support one another in being sober and focusing on life, rebuilding, and becoming more involved with the community, rather than staying stuck at home, wasting away in the bottom of a bottle alone.

I couldn't have asked for a better situation. I truly feel like together, we can combat wanting to drink, and we have a real shot at rebuilding our relationship. What god did I please?

Old 10-09-2013, 12:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's awesome, Jade. It can help to have some mutual support. But just be sure to protect yourself- you have to take care of you no matter if your partner sticks with sobriety or not.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Not trying to put a downer on this but please be careful.Sobriety pacts can easily fail. If your partner drinks you may feel you are 'allowed' to or want to.Your sobriety is not dependant on theirs and you cannot control what they do. It's great to have support but please don't be dependant on them.you can only control your own sobriety